HEALTHY & FUN KIDS HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES
HEALTHY KIDS HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES
Wow! The year really is flying by with another round of school holidays here. I thought I would share with you some of my favourite fun and healthy ways to keep the kids busy and active these holidays. As important it is to nourish your body with what food we eat, it is equally important to holistically nourish with time with family and loved ones, getting outdoors and enjoying sunshine and fresh air and incorporating more fun and playfulness into your life.
Holidays are the wonderful time to embrace getting outdoors, enjoying quality family time, soaking up the sun and getting playful.
Some of my favourite things to do during holidays are:
- Using recycling to play craft activities.
- Baking healthy kids treats.
- Getting outdoors for sunshine (hello vitamin D!), fresh air and gentle movement.
- Go for a nature walks exploring your local area.
- Swimming or going to the beach (If you live in Brisbane, we love visiting South Bank Parklands* for play and swimming. Pack a picnic lunch or try one of the family friendly cafes).
- Spending time outside in the garden (planting herbs is a great one for kids).
- Visiting local markets and taking the time to learn about fresh food.
- Enjoy a picnic at the park.
- Embrace the outdoors with a healthy BBQ.
- Checking out the free local activities in your area. If you are in Brisbane, Roma Street Parkland* have some fantastic free school holiday activities on. We recently visited the parkland to make glow in the dark slime (see photos), wondered through the beautiful gardens and caught the parkland's train ride for the kdis. It was such a fun (and free!) day out.
- Make a treasure hunt.
- Fly a kite.
- Make homemade playdough or get painting.
- Board games, puzzles or bubble blowing.
Take time to play. Forget about the to-do list. The washing will wait. Soak up some quality time with each other and enjoy these precious moments building memories. Remember that you deserve a break and to enjoy time with your family too.
*South Bank Parklands host Kids Collective, a free program held every Thursday from 9am to 1pm with the Parklands, suitable for kids aged up to five at all skill levels. To find out what activities are on visit the Kids Collective website.
*During the school holidays, free kids activities (5-12yrs) are also held at Roma Street Parkland. Activities are held from 9am-1pm, Thursday to Saturday. Visit the Kids Collective website for more details.
What fun and healthy activities do you like to do in the holidays? Please leave your comments below, I'd love to hear from you.
This blog post was written by Brisbane nutritionist, naturopath and wellness blogger Casey-Lee Lyons in collaboration with Southbank Parklands and Roma Street Parklands.