Nutritionist Tips To Beat Sugar Cravings – For Good!
If you've ever experienced sugar cravings you'll understand that there's more than just willpower involved! As the febfast nutrition and health ambassador I'm holding your hand to help you get through your sugar free February and beyond.
What you eat, your emotions, your stress levels, how well you sleep, your hormones and more can all contribute to your cravings. I go i nto more detail in my 8 Week Online Program with all you need to know about understanding your cravings and how to beat them for good. I have been living a sugar free lifestyle for over 10 years now and I haven't had a sugar craving in years. It really is such a good feeling to be free from cravings. I would love to share with you some simple tips as a sneak peak from the program to help you banish your cravings for good too.
My Tips to Beat Sugar Cravings
Quitting sugar is one of the best things you can do for your health. Whether you are wanting to find your healthy weight, improve gut health, heal your skin, balance your hormones, gain more energy or improve your overall health living a sugar free lifestyle will accelerate you towards these goals. My tips to help you heal your cravings:
- Ensure your diet is nutritionally balanced with key nutrients. Include good quality sources of protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats in your diet. A well balanced diet supports stable blood sugar levels and steady energy levels. I teach you how to make balanced meals in my program.
- Aim to include a source of protein and healthy fat in each meal. This will help to keep cravings at bay.
- Make sure you include plenty of fresh vegetables (lots of greens) in your meals. The fibre in vegetables helps to promote balanced blood sugar levels.
- Clean out your kitchen, remove any temptation and replace with healthier alternatives. A well stocked kitchen is a great support.
- Take your focus away from food. Go for a walk, read a book, get some fresh air or catch up with a friend for a laugh.
- Ensure you are eating enough good fats such as avocado, nuts, seeds, coconut, tahini and extra virgin olive oil. Don't be afraid of healthy fats. If you are experiencing cravings, try adding some extra healthy fat to your meals.
- Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Dehydration can often be confused with hunger or cravings.
- Cravings are worse when you are stressed. Find ways that support you to reduce stress. Have a bath, go for a walk, do some gentle exercise or get some fresh air.
- Make sure you are getting plenty of good quality sleep. Not enough sleep increases the hunger hormone Ghrelin making you more likely to reach for sweet treats or energy rich snacks.
- Boost your meals with fresh, natural flavours such as fresh herbs, spices, fresh lemon or lime juice or chilli to help satisfy your palate.
- Embrace savoury foods! The more sweet foods you eat, the more you will look for them.
- Add cinnamon to your recipes. Cinnamon is known to help balance sugar levels and reduce sweet cravings. Cinnamon, as well as vanilla, gives a naturally sweet tone to recipes.
- Approach quitting sugar holistically. Be open to looking at what lies beneath your sugar habit. For example, does stress, boredom, emotions or lack of sleep trigger cravings? Consider what other areas of your lifestyle might be impacting your relationship with sugar.
- Quit sugar with purpose. Give yourself a vision of why you want to quit sugar and remind yourself of this goal when cravings hit. Reminding yourself of this will help you to rise above them and look at the bigger picture.
Quit Sugar and Regain Your Vitality
Sometimes quitting sugar can seem overwhelming, but with a little support you absolutely can. With the right advice and guidance I believe you can do it! If you need support and guidance for quitting sugar and regaining your vitality I'd love to share my 8 Week Program with you and help you along your sugar free journey and to quit sugar (and get rid of cravings) for good. You are sweet enough already and deserve to feel fabulous.
If you have any questions about the program please email me via the contact us page! I'm here for you!
How You Can Make A Difference To Someone's Life
As you might already know I am the 2018 febfast nutrition and health ambassador. If you're familiar with febfast, it is the great Australian pause on sugar or alcohol or your choice whilst raising funds for disadvantaged youth in Australia.
This year I created a Live Love Nourish team to inspire others not only to quit sugar and improve their health but to help those who need support and guidance for a fresh opportunity in life. As part of the team, I personally continued my fast from sugar and alcohol but this year also hit pause on social media at night and inactivity (making sure I moved my body everyday).
If you would like to support our team and help us raise much needed funds we would love your support. You can sponsor the Live Love Nourish team here. The fundraising dollars go towards detox and rehabilitation; physical and mental health; outreach; education and employment; safe housing and family and connection. You can find out the details of where the valuable funds go here.
Thank you for your support (and I hope the above sugar craving tips help!)
Naturopath, nutritionist & founder of the Live Love Nourish 8 Week Program
2018 febfast health ambassador