Rich in nutrients and antioxidants I call this Antioxidant Nourish Bowl my “ageing well-ness” bowl. The recipe is nutritionally balanced with essential nutrients such as protein, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates and fibre. Using whole food ingredients it will nourish your gut, skin and hormones and is loaded with antioxidants too.
I’ve added blueberries and craisins for a pop of colour, flavour, sweetness and punch of antioxidants to make this healthy salad really pop.
How to make a nutritionally balanced nourish bowl:
To make a nourish bowl balanced with macro nutrients you will need a combination of key groups. These include, protein, good fats and complex carbohydrates. Taking these three groups, add a good amount of low starchy vegetables or salad ingredients to make a bowl that will provide plenty of vitamins and minerals as well.
Making a meal nutritionally balanced (one of the key lessons in our 6 Week Online Nutrition Program) will help to keep you fuller for longer, reduce cravings, balance out energy and blood sugar levels and ultimately support your body in nutritional balance.
This recipe is:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Egg free
- Preservative free
To make this recipe nut free, omit nuts and replace with toasted pepitas.
To make this recipe vegetarian, use a plant based source of protein such as pan fried tofu.
What are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants are compounds that inhibit oxidation. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that produces free radicals and reactions that can cause damage to cells in the body and skin. Antioxidants are found in food sources may prevent some of the damage caused by free radicals by scavenging and neutralising free radicals. Examples include vitamins A, C and E and minerals copper, zinc and selenium.
Other dietary compounds found in food, partially plant sources contain phytochemical that have an antioxidant effect. Examples include lycopenes in tomatoes and anthocyanin in cranberries.
Sources of Antioxidants:
Antioxidants can be naturally found in whole foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. Eating a variety of whole foods, especially plant based foods will help to increase levels of antioxidants. Some common examples of antioxidants include:
- Sweet potato, carrots, egg yolk, organic liver (vitamin A)
- Citrus, berries, kiwi fruit, broccoli, capsicum, spinach (vitamin C)
- Avocado, nuts, seeds, whole grains (vitamin E)
- Seafood, organic offal, lean meat, whole grains, Brazil nuts (selenium)
- Seafood, lean meat, nuts (zinc)
- Cruciferous vegetables; broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower (indoles)
- Leeks, onion and garlic (allium sulphur compounds)
- Berries, grapes and eggplant (anthocyanins)
- Green leafy vegetables (lutein)
- Tomatoes, watermelon, pink grapefruit (lycopene)
- Carrots, spinach, parsley, pumpkin, mangoes, apricots (beta-carotene)
- Red capsicum, pumpkin, mangoes (cryptoxanthins)
- Green tea, tea, citrus, onion, apples (flavonoids)
- Tofu, soybeans, lentils, peas (isoflavonoids)
- Nuts, lean meat, seafood (copper)
- Lean meat, seafood, nuts (manganese)
- Whole grains, sesame seeds (lignans)
- Herbs such as thyme, oregano (polyphenols)
In this Antioxidant Nourish Bowl recipe there are an abundance of antioxidants from natural, whole food sources. Including leafy greens, avocado, salmon, almonds, blueberries and leafy greens. In addition and perhaps a surprising source of antioxidants are also Ocean Spray Ocean Spray Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries and extra virgin olive oil.
Antioxidant Nourish Bowl
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (or brown rice)
- 1/2 cup shredded kale leaves (or baby spinach leaves )
- 100g your choice of protein (e.g. salmon, chicken, eggs, tofu)
- 1/4 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp roasted almonds
- 1 tbsp Ocean Spray Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil (for cooking)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a medium mixing bowl add dressing ingredients and mix. Add shredded kale leaves and using hands massage the dressing into the kale leaves. This will tenderise the leaves and add flavour. If using baby spinach leaves simply dress. Set aside.
- Cook chosen protein to liking.
- Assemble salad bowl by arranging cooked quinoa, kale and protein of choice.
- Layer with avocado, blueberries and roasted almonds and finish with Ocean Spray craisins.
Want More Free Recipes?
Whilst you are here be sure to check out our other free recipes. All recipes are made with whole food ingredients, gluten free and dairy free friendly.
Don’t miss a recipe by signing up to our free newsletter. Download your free recipe e-book and I’ll send you our latest recipes straight to your inbox.
Love This Recipe? Share The Love!
Love this recipe? Please share on social media with your friends and family. To share hit the Facebook or Pinterest button at the top of this page. We love having your support to inspire healthy and happy kitchens around the world.
This recipe and imagery is copyright by Live Love Nourish. If you wish to share on your website please get in touch. We love collaborating with like-minded business’ but we kindly ask permission is requested.
This recipe was created by nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons in proud partnership with Ocean Spray.