Here’s my ‘free from’ healthy banana bread recipe; free from gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, eggs and sugar.
Great for snacks and suitable for healthy lunch box treats.
- Sweetened naturally with banana. No added sugar or sweeteners.
- Top 8 free; allergy friendly (gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and egg free)
- Great source of energy and fibre.
- Helps promote healthy digestion and support gut health.
- Rich in B vitamins, vitamins C, folate and minerals potassium, magnesium and copper.
- Nutrients to help boost your mood.
- Plant based/ Vegan. Buckwheat is also a source of plant based protein.
'Free From' Banana Bread
- 4 large over-ripe bananas (500g peeled) cut into pieces (+ 1 extra to decorate)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour*
- 3/4 cup organic desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp gf baking powder
- 1 tsp organic vanilla powder
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180°C.
- In a blender (I use a Vitamix) or food processor blend banana and melted coconut oil until smooth (be careful not to over blend*)
- In a medium mixing bowl combine buckwheat, coconut, baking powder and vanilla. Add banana and coconut oil mixture and combine well.
- Pour batter into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake in oven for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool on a baking before slicing.
You can add chopped walnuts to the mixture.
Decorate the top of the batter with desiccated coconut or slices of banana. Recipe Tips: *Despite the name buckwheat does not contain wheat. It is a gluten free pseudocereal (cereal).
*Be careful not to over blend the banana and coconut oil as this may cause the loaf to become denser.
The riper the banana, the sweeter your bread will be.