- This healthy banana bread provides a good dose of healthy fat, fibre, vitamins, minerals as well as a protein too! The protein and healthy fat from almonds and eggs also help to reduce the impact of fruit sugar on your blood sugar levels.
- Almond meal is rich in healthy fats and vitamin E and are both known to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Lowering your LDL cholesterol lowers your risk of heart disease. Vitamin E is also a fantastic antioxidant and great for healthy skin. Healthy fats keep you satiated and help to control cravings.
- Bananas are a great energy source and are rich in fibre to promote a healthy digestion, aid detoxification and improve elimination.
- Bananas are a great prebiotic (fuel for probiotics) and beneficial for gut health. They help soothe the gut membrane and contain natural fibres that promote the growth of good bacteria.
- Bananas are a good source of vitamin B6 which is used by your immune system by enabling your body to make antibodies that help fight infections. Vitamin B6 also helps regulate blood sugar levels, is used to make red blood cells, is necessary for brain and nervous system health and helps to fight depression.
- Bananas can also help toalleviatemusclecramps thanks to their magnesium and potassium content.
- The potassium and vitamin B6 found in bananas can also help reduce bloating and fluid retention as well as the combination of magnesium and vitamin B6 helping to ease symptoms of PMS.
- Bananas are also rich in vitamin C and folate.
- Bananas also contain tryptophan, a substance your body converts to the feel-good hormone serotonin.
- Maca root is considered a superfood and helps to nourish your body’s endocrine system, balancehormones, promotefertility, boost your immune system as well as being great for memory, mood, energy and coping with stress. It is beneficial for women pre and during menopause as well as women who experience PMS orimbalancedhormones. It is also great for men’sfertilityand testosterone production too.
- Maca contains vitamins B1, B2, C and E, magnesium, amino acids and is a rich source of phytonutrients.
Banana, Maca & Walnut Bread (sugar free)
- 3 large free range eggs
- 1 1/4 cup ripe bananas (~2-3) approx 2-3 mashed
- 1 3/4 cups (180g) almond meal
- 2 Tbsp tbsp (16g) maca powder*
- 2 tsp (8g) gluten free baking powderor 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (1g) cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 cup (75g) walnuts, chopped
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180°C.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add mashed banana and whisk to combine. Add in almond meal, maca powder, baking powder and cinnamon and combine well.
- Pour batter into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake in oven for 40- 45 minutes or until cooked through. Test with a skewer; the skewer will come out clean when cooked through.
- Serve warm, toasted or chilled.
- Sprinkle almond flakes or crushed walnuts on surface prior to baking and place baking paper on top (to stop nuts from burning).
- Instead of walnuts you can also use chopped macadamia nuts.
- Add 1 tsp organic vanilla powder to batter.
- To give your banana bread a boost of extra banana flavour add an additional ¼ cup of mashed banana to mixture, totalling 1 ½ cups.
- Instead of cooking as a loaf of banana bread you can spoon batter into muffin trays and cook for half the time.
- For a fun decoration layer the top of you uncooked banana bread with thin slices of banana before baking.
- *Maca is a root plant native to the Andes of Peru. It is made into a superfood powder that can be added to baking, smoothies and raw treats with benefits such as boosting energy and improving hormonal balance.
- You can purchase from health food stores.
- This recipe is suitable to freeze.
- You can also make this recipe into muffins.