A nutrient loaded, veggie packed bolognese recipe that is my recipe for the Best Bolognese!
Recipe is gluten free, dairy free friendly. It makes the perfect, healthy family friendly dinner and fantastic for bath cooking, meal prep and make-ahead dinners. Freezer friendly too and great for left over lunches.
To make this recipe nutrient rich you’ll find a variety of hidden vegetables along with nutrient dense liver. The liver is well balanced with the minced meat so the flavour is subtle and most wont even pick that it is in there. Make sure you use organic liver. I source our organic meat from Sherwood Rd Organics.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small brown onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small carrot finely grated
- 1 small zucchini grated
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 500g organic beef mince
- 150g organic beef liver or chicken liver
- 400g crushed tomatoes
- 200ml passata
- 250ml bone broth
- sea salt
- Black Pepper
- Fresh oregano or parsley to serve
- In a large, deep frying pan heat extra virgin olive oil with onion and garlic. Sauté until fragrant.
- Finely chop liver* to a mince texture. Add chopped beef liver to pan and cook until browned.
- Add beef mince and cook through. Use a spatula to break up mince. Use a spoon to discard any excess fat from cooking.
- Add tomato paste, carrot, zucchini and oregano. Sauté until soft veggies are soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes, passata and broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes. Adjust seasoning to liking.
- Serve with your favourite spaghetti or vegetable noodles such as zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
Let’s Stay Connected
Make sure you don’t miss a recipe by signing up to our free newsletter. You can download your free recipe e-book and I’ll send you our latest recipes straight to your inbox.
Love This Recipe? Share The Love!
If you love this recipe please share on social media with your friends and family. Hit the Facebook or Pinterest button at the top of this page. We love having your support to inspire healthy and happy kitchens around the world.
This recipe was custom created by nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons for Sherwood Rd Organics butcher.
This recipe, video imagery is copyright by Live Love Nourish. If you wish to share on your website please get in touch. We love collaborating with like-minded business’ but we kindly ask permission is requested.