Salmon is packed full of protein and omegas that provide necessary nutrients for a healthy and vital body and mind. Whilst salmon is delicious simply pan fried it is good to get to know some versatile ways to use this nutrient power-house protein. Here is our recipe for Chilli and Coriander Salmon Cakes that are a regular in the LLN kitchen
- These easy and flavour-full salmon cakes are a great protein source rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
- Omegas are essential for optimal health and must be obtained from your diet. The omegas found in salmon possess anti-inflammatory properties and help to prevent cardiovascular disease, reduce cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- Chillies provide a great source of the anti-oxidants beta-carotene and vitamin C which help to promote eye health, immune health and reproductive health.
- Did you know chillies can boost your metabolism? They can increase your metabolic rate and thus increase your energy expenditure promoting healthy weight management.
- Chillies also contain a compound known as capsaicin which has anti-bacterial, anti-carinogenic and anti-diabetic properties. Chillies also contain a vast amount of compounds that are known to have disease preventing and health promoting properties. They are also great for improving circulation.
- Fresh Coriander leaves possess an impressive vitamin, mineral and anti-oxidant content adding extra nutrients to your meal. Coriander leaves also help to promote healthy digestion.
Chilli and Coriander Salmon Cakes
- In a food processor pulse all ingredients until finely minced and well combined.
- Shape mixture into 4 large or 8 small patties.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Pan-fry patties for 4 minutes each side or until golden and cooked to liking.
- Serve hot with lime wedges and your choice of salad or vegetables.
- Add 2 kaffir lime leaves, shredded to mixture before cooking.
- Add 1 teaspoon lime rind, finely grated to mixture before cooking.
- Add 1 lemongrass stalk (white part only), finely chopped to mixture before cooking.
- Avoid cooking patties at too high temperatures to avoid burning.
- If you don’t have a food processor or high powered Blender you can also finely chop salmon to a minced texture. To help patties hold together add an additional egg white, lightly whisked if needed.
- Simply omit egg white and pulse ingredients well in a Blender or food processor to combine and hold together.
- Substitute salmon for chicken mince and omit egg white as the chicken mince will be sticky enough to hold together.
- Omit garlic.