Crispy hash browns are typically an unhealthy deep-fried indulgence but now there’s a healthier way to enjoy these delicious treats especially for a weekend cooked breakfast. Instead of deep frying starchy white potatoes we pan-fry sweet potato in rosti style healthy hash browns that are sure to be crowd pleasers. Serve crispy hash browns with eggs cooked to your liking. These Sweet Potato Hash Browns are also great for lunch box treats or to use as a base to a burger slider instead of a bun or bread.
You can also personalise this recipe to yours and your family’s favourite way of cooking eggs; fried, scrambled or poached.
- This recipe supplies a good balance of protein and quality carbohydrates for an energy fuelled breakfast.
- Eggs provide a great balance of protein and omegas helping to promote a healthy body composition, support healthy blood sugar levels and reduce sugar cravings.
- Sweet Potato is a slow release carbohydrate providing the body with energy to fuel your day.
- Serve your cooked eggs and Hash Browns with a side of wilted greens such as baby spinach or fresh avocado to add extra nutrients to your breakfast meal.
Eggs with Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Using clean hands squeeze out any excess juice from sweet potato.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine sweet potato, egg white, onion powder, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Spoon approximately 1/4 cup of mixture onto pan and flatten and shape with the back of a spoon.
- Cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until underside is cooked. Carefully flip and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes or until browned. Set aside.
- Cook eggs to liking. Set aside.
- In frying pan sauté spinach in olive oil for 1 minute or until wilted.
- Layer cooked rostis with spinach and top with poached eggs. Serve hot.
- Serve Sweet Potato Hash Browns hot with cooked eggs and a side of wilted spinach or with toasted Gluten Free, Grain Free Bread.
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns are a great substitute in place of toast.
- All the underside of hash browns to cook through before flipping so that they hold together well.
- Substitute cooked eggs with a portion of cooked protein or smoked salmon.
- Omit egg from Sweet Potato Hash Browns and stir-fry as a Sweet Potato Hash instead.
- Omit onion powder from Sweet Potato Hash Browns.