Using just one ingredient you can make a delicious and nutritious dairy free and nut free smoothie.
Simply blend the liquid and flesh from within a fresh young coconut until smooth. Enjoy as a healthy snack, in smoothies or as use half the amount of fresh to produce a dairy free alternative to cow’s milk.
Fresh young coconuts can be bought in the fruit section of the supermarket, at health food stores and grocers.
This one ingredient recipe makes a delicious, naturally semi-sweet dairy free milk.
- Young coconuts provide an impressive panel of nutrients providing your body with vitamins, minerals and more.
- Coconut Water provides one of best natural sources of electrolytes and is in-fact very similar to the human blood plasma.
- Coconut flesh provides a good dose of nutrients with beneficial levels of vitamins and minerals.
Fresh Young Coconut Smoothie
- 1 whole Fresh Young Coconut
- Open tip of coconut. (See how to prepare a young coconut).
- Drain coconut water into a glass, set aside.
- Using a metal spoon, scoop out inside flesh of coconut.
- In a blender, pulse coconut water with coconut flesh until smooth. (I find my Vitamix does a brilliant job of this smoothie )
- Serve chilled.
- To remove the coconut water from the inside turn the coconut upside down and pierce the base with a sharp knife several times to create a whole.
- Alternatively, you can pierce a hole in the top of the coconut, just to the side of the tip using a ‘Coconut Tap’ (available from health food stores) or a clean screw driver and hammer to pierce the shell. Once hole is made, turn coconut upside down resting on a glass and drain the liquid. To open the top turn the coconut on its side and using a very sharp knife or clever make 4 energised incisions at the top point as you rotate the coconut. Carefully use the blunt knife to lift the lid you have just cut. Use a spoon and scoop flesh out.
- Alternatively you can use a coconut opener that you can purchase from speciality kitchen shops or health food stores.
- Add extra sweetness with 1 teaspoon Raw Honey, Pure Maple Syrup or 1 -2 pitted Medjool Dates and blend.
For a vanilla flavoured milk add 1/8 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Powder.
- For this smoothie you must use a young coconut (it will either have the hard green outer or if removed will appear white, not the dark brown husk of a mature coconut) and not a mature coconut (with brown hairy husk).