Brussels sprouts may have gotten a bad reputation and if you are someone who’s had a bad experience, please do try them again as they are packed full of nutrition! I find pan fried and roasted brussels sprouts (together with olive oil and garlic) to be one of the tastiest ways to enjoy this nutritionally beneficial vegetable.
Did you know brussels sprouts are great for bone health?! Yes sir-ee! These little gems contain an impressive amount of vitamin K. See below for more amazing health benefits of brussels sprouts. Seriously, these should be in your top 5 vegetables on your grocery list!
This recipe for pan-fried brussels sprouts is a really quick and easy side dish and great addition to your dinner menu.
- Brussels sprouts promote lowering of cholesterol, are rich in fibre and aid your body’s detoxification process.
- Brussels sprouts are rich in vitamin K, need to support calcium absorption and promote bone health.
- They are an excellent source of vitamin C providing you with eye and skin protection as well as boosting your immune system and strengthening your skin’s collagen.
- These beauties are part of the cruciferous vegetable family that contain many flavanoid anti-oxidants that are said to offer protection against cancer.
- Their impressive nutritional panel can decrease not only your risk of cancer but also obesity, diabetes, heart disease and neurodegenerative disease.
- The high fibre content of brussels sprouts promote healthy digestion and elimination. They also contain glucosinolates that help protect your digestive tract (reducing the potential for leaky gut syndrome and other digestive conditions).
- Brussels sprouts also help to lower blood glucose levels, prevent oxidative damage caused by diabetes as well as improve insulin sensitivity.
Garlic & Lemon Brussels Sprouts
- 16 Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Trim ends off brussels sprouts and remove damaged leaves.
- Steam sprouts for 5 - 8 minutes or until tender.
- Carefully cut sprouts in half.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and add brussels sprouts.
- Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and cook sprouts for 5-8 minutes turning frequently.
- Serve with lemon zest and juice over top.
- These make a great vegetable side dish.
- You can also serve with fresh herbs such as parsley.
- You can also use olive oil + 2 cloves crushed fresh garlic in place of garlic infused olive oil.
- Brussels sprouts are also delicious served with toasted and roughly chopped walnuts for added crunch and to boost your omega and protein levels.
- Instead of pan-frying you can also roast in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until golden with crispy edges.
- Use garlic infused olive oil over fresh garlic.
- Stick to 1/2 cup per serve.