My recipe for Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Macaroons is a light, semi-sweet treat that won’t leave you feeling bloated or heavy. Like all of our recipes this one is also dairy free and processed sugar free.
Again, like all of our recipes this one is also versatile and can be made using Raw Carob Powder in place of cacao powder making these into Carob Macaroons.
This clean eating and Paleo coconut macaroon recipe has also featured in the fabulous Yum. Gluten Free Magazine.
- The combination of protein from the egg white and healthy fat from the coconut milk help to reduce the impact of these healthy treats on your blood sugar levels.
- Cacao powder is known to be rich in the antioxidant resveratrol and is believed to promote cardiovascular health.
- Cacao powder can also boost your mood and is also rich in minerals such as magnesium, zinc, potassium, copper and manganese.
Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 170C.
- Using electric beaters, in a mixing bowl beat egg white until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine shredded coconut, coconut milk, sweetener of choice, cacao powder and vanilla until well combined.
- Gently fold through egg white until well combined.
- With clean hands shape large tablespoon portions of mixture into rounded shapes and place onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake in oven for 15 -20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool.
- Instead of using cacao powder you could also use Raw Carob Powder.
To boost nutrient value you can also add in toasted sesame seeds, sunflower seeds or dry roasted almonds, chopped.
- Make sure your shredded coconut is organic or preservative free as regular store-bought desiccated coconut more often than not contains the harsh preservative sulphur (also known as sulphite). This preservative is known to cause asthma and hyperactivity in children especially. You can purchase organic or preservative free coconut from health food stores, the health food section of your supermarket or online.