Gluten Free Egg, Bacon and Toast Cups
When it comes to food, sometimes it’s the simple things that can bring the most joy. Like a warm cup of soup on a cold night, the smell of homemade baking or a cooked breakfast on a slow Sunday.
These gluten free egg, bacon and toast cups are a simple recipe perfect for your weekend breakfast, or even for a grab-and-go option, using a classic combination: eggs and bacon on toast.
For this recipe we are going to give this classic an upgrade to make these fun baked breakfast cups.
Gluten Free Bread
To make these with a gluten free twist using a soft gluten free bread alternative while keeping true to that real bread experience, I’ve used Helga’s Gluten Free.
I often make these for picnics and I even make these for our non-gluten free friends, who don’t even notice the difference!
These are so quick and easy and a fun way to serve a classic combo of bacon, eggs and toast. I hope this might inspire you to make a fun, family picnic brunch and try these out.
To make this recipe vegetarian you can omit bacon.
You can also swap bacon with smoked salmon.
To add vegetables, add peas, chopped cherry tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms or caramelised onion under the cracked egg.
You can also serve these gluten free egg, bacon & toast cups with a tomato relish or homemade tomato sauce.
Gluten Free Egg Bacon & Toast Cups
- 6-8 gluten free bread slices
- 6 free range eggs
- 6 rashers good quality bacon (nitrate free and gluten free) *see notes for alternatives
- sea salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Using a rolling pin or your hands, gently flatten bread slices just a little. Cut on a diagonal (or use a cookie cutter to cut large rounds larger enough to cover the muffin hole). Remove crust for a well rounded shape or for a home-style, more rustic look (my favourite) leave crust on.
- Press each piece into a lined standard muffin tray. Making sure the bread overlaps and comes to the edge. Patch any gaps press into shape.
- Sauté spinach in olive oil to soften. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a frying pan (or under the grill with your oven already on).
- Line each cup with a spinach and bacon slice and crack over an egg into each.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chopped chives or spring onion.
- Bake until egg whites are set. Approx. 20 minutes.
- Run a small knife around edges to loosen toast.
- Serve fresh and warm.
More Free Recipes!
Whilst you are here be sure to check out our other free recipes!
Make sure you don’t miss a recipe by signing up to our free newsletter. Download your free recipe e-book and I’ll send you our latest recipes straight to your inbox.
Love This Recipe? Share The Love!
Love this recipe? Please share on social media with your friends and family. Hit the Facebook or Pinterest button at the top of this page. We love having your support to inspire healthy and happy kitchens around the world.
This recipe and imagery is copyright by Live Love Nourish. If you wish to share on your website please get in touch. We love collaborating with like-minded business’ but we kindly ask permission is requested.
This recipe was created by nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons for Helgas.