A simple and homely pie filled with homemade goodness. This recipe is one from my childhood and my mum’s signature dish as we were growing up. This sure was one of our family favourites!
Here’s my updated version with a few tweaks, making this yummy tuna pie gluten free, dairy free and sugar free.
This pie is a great family dinner option or make-ahead lunch and it freezes well also. It is also fabulous for school lunches!
You’ll find many more family friendly healthy recipes, all gluten free, dairy free and sugar free, in my Real Food Recipes e-book.
- Tuna and eggs are high in protein to keep you satisfied for longer whilst providing your body with beneficial amino acids.
- Eggs also provide your body with a boost of energising vitamin B-12 as well as choline and folic acid.
- Quinoa is also high in protein and low GI providing your body with slow-release energy to fuel your body for an energised day.
Gluten Free Tuna Pie
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 small Onion, finely diced
- 1 large Egg, whisked
- 3 teaspoon s Curry Powder
- Pinch Pink Salt
- Generous amount of Cracked Black Pepper
- Olive Oil for greasing
- 800 g good quality canned Tuna in Olive Oil, drained
- 1 small Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- 8 Large Eggs , whisked
- 1/2 cup Nut Milk
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard Powder
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley chopped or 2 tablespoons Dried Parsley
- Pinch Pink Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 170°C.
- Prepare and cook quinoa and set aside to slightly cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the base ingredients and mix well.
- Press base onto the bottom and sides of a large pie dish lightly greased with olive oil (approximately 26 cm pie dish).
- Flake tuna over base.
- In a mixing bowl combine remaining filling ingredients.
- Pour filling gently over tuna evenly.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 50 minutes - 1 hour or until firm.
- Serve with a side salad or cooked greens.
- Add 1/2 cup frozen green peas to filling mixture before cooking.
- Add a pinch of chilli powder to the base mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup spinach, finely chopped to topping egg mixture.
- Add 1 grated carrot to tuna filling.
- You can also omit almond milk and add 1 more egg to filling.
- Instead of quinoa you can also use cauliflower rice.
- For the best flavour choose a good quality brand of tuna.
- Substitute onion for 3 spring onions (green part only) finely chopped.
- Omit garlic from filling and add 1 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil to base.
- Substitute cooked quinoa for 3 cups of cauliflower rice (or 1.5 cups cauliflower rice + 1.5 cups broccoli rice).
- Substitute almond milk for coconut drinking milk or 1 additional egg or omit