Healthy gluten free granola! Made with nutrient dense nuts, seeds and coconut, this recipe is grain free and paleo friendly.
I use a dehydrator to make this recipe as I soak the nuts the night before which makes them easier to digest (leaving you feel lighter) and the very low heat from the dehydrator maintains the nutrients whilst providing a crunchy and delicious muesli. I use a Sedona Dehydrator with metal trays. The recipe is grain free and refined sugar free and rich in good fats and provides a source of plant-based protein. For more healthy breakfast recipes check out my ‘Real Food Recipes’ recipe e-book.
Grain Free Granola (Dehydrator recipe)
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw macadamias
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup organic shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted tbsp
- 2 Tbsp natural sweetener of choice (honey, maple, rice malt; optional) tbsp
- 1 tsp organic vanilla powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup organic dried fruit of choice (optional)
- Soak your nuts and seeds overnight in seperate bowls with enough water to cover. Soak hard nuts (almonds, macadamias for 6- 8 hours and softer nuts and seeds (walnuts, sunflower seeds and pepitas for 4-6 hours).
- Drain and rinse soaked nuts and seeds very well. Drain well and place onto paper towel to absorb remaining water
- Transfer half of the nuts and seeds to a food processor or blender to roughly pulse to chop (this step is optional but is great to give a variety of texture to the granola).
- In a large mixing bowl combine chopped nuts and seeds, whole nuts and seeds, coconut, coconut oil, natural sweetener, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Transfer granola onto the dehydrator trays. Spread evenly across trays over one even layer each. Place into your dehydrator on low setting for 12-18 hours until crisp or on a higher setting for 8-10 hours. (Your dehydrator will provide options).
- Once you are happy with the crispness of the granola allow to cool. Mix through dried fruit and store in air tight glass containers for freshness.
- Serve as is, with fruit, yoghurt or plant-based milk.Notes: You can swap nuts and seeds around to liking.
- You can also add flavours such as cacao powder with your natural sweetener.