Did you know many brands of store-bought liquid stocks or stock cubes may contain
gluten, lactose, yeast or flavour enhancers? You can purchase a natural stock
from health food stores that is gluten free, lactose free and yeast free or alternatively you can
make your own by following our flavour-packed recipe below.
Our simple Vegetable Stock recipe is full of aromatic vegetables and fresh herbs that
enhance the flavour of your savoury recipes.
Why not make up a large batch every now and then and freeze in portion sizes for
ready to go stock. Making your own stock is a great way to add nutrients to savoury
Homemade Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 head Garlic, unpeeled and sliced in half through centre of cloves
- 4 stalks Celery, roughly chopped
- 3 large Carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 Leek, roughly chopped
- 1 large Brown Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Turnip, Parsnip or Swede, roughly chopped
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 bunch Fresh Parsley
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 5 Whole Black Peppercorns
- Pinch Pink Salt
- 4 Litres Cold Water
- In a large soup pot bring all ingredients to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 2 hours occasionally
- skimming the surface for foam-like impurities that rise to the surface.
- Pass the stock through a fine sieve. Discard vegetables and herbs.
- Allow to cool. Refrigerate or freeze in portions
- Adjust ratios of vegetables and herbs to liking.
- To enhance sweeter and more developed flavours, sauté vegetables in olive oil for a few minutes prior to adding water.
- Use cold water to extract the most flavour out of your vegetables.
- Follow our FODMAP Friendly Vegetable Stock Recipe.