Zucchini Noodles (aka Zoodles) are a fun grain free, low carbohydrate and vegetable based alternative to standard pasta or noodles.
This versatile way of making pasta can be used in cold salads, warm dishes such as Pesto Chicken Pasta, zucchini bolognese and even in stir fried ‘noodle’ dishes.
How to Make Zucchini Noodles
- 2 large Zucchinis
To make Zucchini Noodles:
- Using a Julienne Peeler or vegetable spiraliser simply strip the zucchini down to the seeds. Alternatively use a box grater on its side and run the zucchini in one direction over and over again to produce spaghetti-like strands.
To make Zucchini Pasta:
- To make wider strands of 'pasta' simply use a vegetable peeler and peel lengthways turning the zucchini each time until you reach the seeds.
- Serve raw, sautéed or briefly blanched for 3 - 5 minutes until just tender.
- Serve with pasta sauce, Dairy Free Basil Pesto, top with Bolognese sauce or add cooked chicken and sum-dried tomatoes and drizzle with garlic olive oil.
- Some people with digestive disorders such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) find zucchini can be difficult to tolerate, however it might be as simple as avoiding the centre of the zucchini where the seeds are.
- Make your Zucchini Noodles/ Pasta by peeling back layers as you turn the zucchini leaving the very centre for another use. Alternatively you could peel carrots or asparagus into pasta like strands.