These gluten free, paleo meatballs are very easy to make and are packed with loads of fresh flavours. Using whole food ingredients they are also sugar free and dairy free.
A word of warning – there is never a drop left when our family enjoys these meatballs so I recommend making extra serves!
You can serve these meatballs as is with the tomato sauce over top, with toothpicks and keep the tomato sauce for dipping (this is great for entertaining) or serve over Zucchini Pasta or Mung Bean Fettuccine.
*Suitable to freeze*
- Lamb or Beef are rich sources of iron and high in protein delivering a broad dose of essential amino acids.
- Garlic, tomatoes and fresh herbs provide your body with anti-oxidants too.
- This recipe provides a hearty meal with great satisfaction without feeling bloated.
Italian Meatballs with Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 500 g good quality minced Lamb or Beef*
- 4 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 large Free Range Egg, lightly whisked
- 3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary, leaves removed; finely chopped (or 1 Tbsp Dried Rosemary)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped (or Dried Parsley)
- 1 heaped tablespoon Dried Oregano (or fresh chopped)
- Pink Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all meatball ingredients. Using clean hands shape heaped tablespoon portions into rounded balls.
- Heat olive oil in a deep frying pan or wide saucepan and cook meatballs over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through. Turn meatballs regularly to ensure all are cooked evenly. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare tomato sauce by pureeing all sauce ingredients in a Blender or food processor.
- Wipe out excess oil left in saucepan from meatballs and add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Return meatballs to sauce for 3-5 minutes to heat through.
- Serve meatballs hot.
- You can serve these meatballs as is with the tomato sauce over top, with toothpicks and keep the tomato sauce for dipping (this is great for entertaining) or serve over Zucchini Pasta or Mung Bean Fettuccine.
- Serve topped with fresh basil or oregano chopped for a garnish.
- You could also serve these meatballs for a substantial brunch meal with fried eggs either separately or cracked into the sauce until cooked to liking.
- You could also make these meatballs with pork or chicken mince.
- Add 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves finely chopped to meatball mix.
- You can also add 1/4 onion, finely chopped to meatball mix.
- To intensify the flavour of your tomato sauce you can also add 1-2 tablespoons Tomato Paste.
- Omit chilli for those who don't like heat or add extra if you like a spicy tomato sauce.
- To intensify the flavour of your tomato sauce you can also pre-roast tomatoes.
- If you don't have fresh tomatoes you can also use 400g canned BPA free Crushed Tomatoes.
- Omit fresh garlic and use garlic infused olive oil where olive oil is listed for added flavour.
- You can still make these meatballs without egg but be sure to mould your meatballs extra well so that they hold their shape.