Rich in flavour, colour and health-promoting nutrients, these moist gluten free cupcakes are naturally sweetened with beetroot and cacao. Filled with the buttery crunch of Australian macadamia nuts and topped with a dairy free coconut and macadamia cream frosting for the perfect indulgent yet healthy treat.
- Made with real food ingredients this recipe contains a nutrient rich ingredients such as beetroot, eggs and macadamia nuts.
- Free from grains, gluten and dairy.
- Paleo friendly.
- Sweetened naturally with a combination of beetroot, cacao and a small amount of pure maple syrup.
- Macadamia nuts are a great source of healthy fat and contain a wide range of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants (such a vitamin B1, magnesium, manganese, iron, niacin and copper). With benefits for heart health, blood glucose levels and digestive health macadamias are one of my favourite nuts for health.
- Beetroot contains many beneficial nutrients such as vitamins A and C, folic acid, manganese, iron, calcium, potassium and fibre.
- Cacao is a rich source of antioxidants and can improve mood.
Macadamia, Beetroot & Cacao Cupcakes
- 400 mL canned premium coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp macadamia nut butter*
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 8-10 whole Australian macadamia nuts
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- In a blender or food processor, puree cooked and cooled beetroot with macadamia nut oil and maple syrup.
- In a mixing bowl whisk eggs really well. Pour in beetroot batter and combine.
- Add cacao powder, coconut flour, vanilla and baking powder and combine well.
- Fold through macadamia nuts.
- Spoon batter into a greased cupcake tray.
- Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting. Take coconut milk out of fridge. Do not shakeScoop out the coconut cream solids that have risen to the top. (Keep the liquid for another use such as smoothies).
- In a medium mixing bowl use electric beaters to whip coconut cream solids with maple syrup until thickened.
- Stir through macadamia nut butter and cacao powder. Combine well. Transfer to fridge for 20-30 minutes to thicken.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, spoon frosting into a piping bag and ice cupcakes (or spread with a knife). Top with a macadamia nut on each.
- Store in refrigerator.
- *You can purchase pre-cooked beetroot in the produce section of your supermarket or fruit shops.
- *You can purchase macadamia nut butter from health food stores, whole food stores or the health food section of your supermarket. You can also make your own macadamia nut butter by blending raw macadamia nuts in a high speed blender or food processor until it makes a paste.
- *Or use a good quality vanilla extract.