This deliciously flavoursome fresh herb ‘sauce’ is the perfect condiment to lamb or even makes a great salad dressing. It’s punchy and zesty flavour can transform your cooked meats, bbq steak, grilled fish or chicken and makes an amazing dipping sauce for koftas or skewered meats.
“Chimichurri” is a ‘green sauce’ originally from Argentina and traditionally served with grilled meats. Typically it contains vinegar but instead I like to use fresh lemon juice.
Chimichurri is a great way to freshen up dishes and to add a touch of zing and zest to grilled meat. This is one of my favourite sauces to serve with roast lamb. Instead of the traditional ‘mint sauce’ or ‘mint jelly’ that you buy from supermarkets (which contains sugar and often preservatives), this one is of course sugar free and preservative free but made from fresh ingredients and takes only minutes to make.
As this quick and easy recipe uses such simple and fresh ingredients it is naturally gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, vegan and Paleo.
- Mint is rich in Vitamin C and carotenes (a precursor to vitamin A) and contains beneficial minerals such as iron and magnesium.
- Mint is a great digestive aid and helps to relieve indigestion. It also has anti-spasmodic properties that provide relief for IBS related symptoms such as bloating, flatulence and abdominal cramping.
- Parsley is rich in vitamins C, B12, A and K and contains powerful antioxidants and disease preventing properties.
- Parsley is anti-inflammatory and rich in chlorophyll helping to detox your body.
- Parley helps to keep your immune system strong and is a great cleanser for your blood and digestive system.
- Parsley is also great to support healthy digestion and helps to treat bad breath from poor digestion. Parsley also helps reduce bloating, improves water retention and supports a healthy menstrual cycle.
- In a small food processor, spice grinder or stick blender with attachment blend all ingredients until herbs are finely chopped and ingredients are well combined.
- Store in air-tight container in refrigerator. (Will keep for several days).
- Serve over cooked protein such as lamb, chicken or fish. Also makes a great salad dressing.
- You can also use fresh lime juice instead of lemon juice.
- You can also change your herbs to to make different flavour combinations such as oregano and parsley.
- Instead of fresh garlic use garlic infused olive oil.