There is something very satisfying about the flavours of fresh basil in a creamy pesto. Here is another way to use our Dairy Free Pesto recipe in a gluten free, grain free, low carb pasta dish. Served as fresh ribbons of zucchini tossed with fragrant pesto and tender pieces of chicken, this recipe is versatile and can be served warm or chilled as a pasta salad.
- With a healthy balance of protein, vegetables and good fats, this pesto pasta dish is a satisfying meal that won’t leave you feeling bloated.
- Zucchini is a great low carbohydrate vegetable providing the body with a source of fibre and potassium.
- Olive Oil is a wonderful ingredient that provides the body with healthy fats that are anti-inflammatory, great for hair and skin and support healthy cholesterol and hormone levels.
- Pesto is packed full of dark green basil leaves that provide antioxidants and a source of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is the green pigment in plants that helps to alkaline and detoxify the body.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free and soy free.
To make this recipe nut free and low FODMAP see recipe notes below.
Pesto Zucchini Pasta with Chicken
- Using a julienne peeler, peel zucchini length ways into long strips to form pasta like strands. Follow tips here.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add zucchini pasta and saute for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until just tender.
- Add cooked chicken and pesto and stir until well combined or until heated through.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Dress with a squeeze of lemon juice before serving for added freshness.
- Serve warm or chilled as a salad.
- Stir through 1/4 cup blanched green peas before serving.
- Stir through 1/2 cup fresh or wilted baby spinach.
- Use cooked prawns or other chosen protein instead of chicken.
- To cook chicken, simply pan fry for 6-8 minutes, turning half way and until cooked through. Allow to rest for 2 - 3 minutes then slice. We recommend pan-frying your chicken in garlic olive oil.
- Be careful not to overcook zucchini to avoid soggy pasta.
- When making Dairy Free Basil Pesto follow the nut free version by omitting or substituting nuts for Pumpkin Seeds.
- Follow the FODMAP friendly variation of Dairy Free Basil Pesto.
- Omit chicken from recipe.