This recipe is a little sneak peak at one of our family-friendly recipes that you’ll find in our 8 Week Program.
This roast lamb recipe is all about bold flavour, homely cooking and nutrient-rich ingredients.
This is my twist on the classic Sunday lamb roast. With roasted and smashed veggies to add some flare and fun and served with a flavoursome gravy that uses no flour to thicken!
This recipe uses whole food ingredients so is naturally gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and Paleo.
- Lamb is high in protein and delivers a good dose of iron and amino acids.
- Sweet potato and pumpkin provide a great source of vitamins A and C.
- Our LLN pumpkin gravy is naturally gluten free as it uses no flour. Instead we use pumpkin + chia seeds to add a burst of nutritional goodness.
Pull Apart Lamb Shoulder + Veggie Smash & Pumpkin Gravy
- 2 kg Lamb Shoulder
- Olive Oil
- Pink Salt and Pepper
- 1 bunch Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Bulb Garlic Cloves, peeled
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 Kent or Jap Pumpkin (or 1/2 Butternut Pumpkin), chopped
- 3 cups Green Beans
- 400 mLs Water
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Pinch Pink Salt
- Pinch Black Pepper White Pepper
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 220C.
- Place rosemary sprigs and 1/2 of the garlic cloves on the bottom of a high-sided roasting tray.
- Deeply score the fat side of the lamb, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on top of rosemary and garlic.
- Cover tray with aluminium foil and place in oven. Reduce oven temperature to 150°C and cook for 4 hours or until meat pulls apart easily with a fork. (Remove foil with 30 mins cooking time to go).
- With 1 hour 15 mins to go place remaining garlic cloves, sweet potato and pumpkin in a separate roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil and roast in oven.
- Once lamb is cooked remove from oven and place on a chopping board. Cover with aluminium foil and a tea towel and allow to rest.
- Meanwhile make gravy. Pour out oil from lamb tray and discard rosemary sprigs. Mash 2- 3 garlic cloves in the pan (discard others) 1/2 cup of the roasted pumpkin until smooth and mix into any caramelised residual flavour on bottom of pan. Add 400mLs water, onion powder, chia seeds, salt and peppers and use a fork to mix well. Place flameproof tray on stovetop (or alternatively transfer ingredients to a small saucepan) and bring to a simmer and allow gravy to reduce for 5-8 minutes, stirring regularly or until desired consistency.
- Blanch or steam green beans for 5- 8 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Remove vegetables from oven and roughly mash sweet potato, pumpkin and garlic cloves with a fork.
- Carve lamb and serve with vegetables and gravy.
- Omit garlic cloves. You can use garlic infused olive oil to season your lamb for a garlic flavour instead.
- Omit onion powder from gravy.