Oh how I love a bowl of warm pumpkin soup. This is such a simple recipe with a twist of green vege 😉
Using fresh, whole food ingredients this recipe is naturally gluten free and dairy free.
Did you know many store-bought stocks may contain gluten, lactose and yeast? I recommend finding a brand free from these ingredients and free from flavour enhancers or excess salt or alternatively you can make your own vegetable stock and freeze in batches for ready-to-go soup stock.
- Soup is a great meal to nourish your body with nutrients. Fantastic for lunch, dinner or even breakfast, soups are an easy to digest meal.
- Soup is also a great way to get kids to enjoy vegetables, especially some of those they wouldn’t typically eat whole.
- Pumpkin is a powerhouse of anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin A and C necessary for maintaining healthy skin, eye sight and mucus membranes.
- Kale, the popular super-vege, is loaded with minerals and vitamins. It contains health promoting nutrients such as iron, magnesium,manganese, vitamins K, A and C as ell as fibre.
Pumpkin and Kale Soup
- 5 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1 large bunch Kale, woody stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 kg Pumpkin, peeled and diced into large pieces
- 1.25L Stock or well seasoned water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- Pinch Pink Salt
- Generous Amount of Black Pepper
- In an extra large saucepan or soup pot saute garlic and kale in olive oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, stock, nutmeg, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- In a blender (I use Vitamix for all of my pureed soups) or food processor puree ingredients until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh chives or spring onions, chopped.
- Add 1 cup baby spinach leaves before pureeing.
- Add 11/2 head broccoli florets with pumpkin.
- Omit fresh garlic and add 2 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil.
- Choose Kent or Jap pumpkin and avoid butternut pumpkin.