This gluten free quinoa salad contains an abundance of vitamins and minerals and packs a flavour punch! Great for entertaining and a winning dish for Christmas day. In my Christmas recipe e-book you’ll also find one of my favourite sides to share at Christmas for a Festive Quinoa Salad.
- Kale is one of the most nutrient dense vegetables available. It is rich in vitamins A, C and K and is loaded with powerful antioxidants.
- Quinoa is a high protein, gluten free seed that is rich in B-vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and a good dose of fatty acids.
- Avocado is rich in vitamins C, K and E as well as a great source of fibre, folate, magnesium and potassium.
- Walnuts are rich in vitamin E as well as magnesium, manganese and fibre and aid blood sugar control.
- Together these ingredients provide a very satisfying meal that promotes healthy metabolism whilst providing your body with a great dose of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Quinoa, Kale & Cherry Salad
- 4 (packed) cups kale, stalks removed & finely shredded
- 3 cups cooked quinoa, chilled*
- 3/4 cups fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Pink salt and pepper
- Blanch kale in boiling water for 30 seconds - 1 minute. Strain and allow to cool (can cool quickly in an ice bath).
- Meanwhile toast walnuts and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine kale, quinoa, parsley, chives and avocado.
- Stir through olive oil and lemon juice to combine well. Season to taste.
- Stir through cherries.
- Stir through walnuts just before serving.
- Make fluffy quinoa by following our recipe here.
- You can also use defrosted cherries. Use absorbent kitchen towel to soak up excess liquid once defrosted.
- You can also substitute walnuts for pistachios.
- Stick to 1/4 avocado per serve.
- Substitute walnuts for toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds.