Healthy salads don’t need to be boring! Here’s one of my favourite, simple salads packed with vitamins, minerals and crunch!
The creamy, dairy free avocado dressing and added crunch from celery and almonds makes this salad a little more exciting than lettuce!
Serve this clean eating, paleo salad as a side dish or as a light lunch meal. Add some protein by mixing through cooked and shredded chicken or cooked and flaked salmon.
Like all of our Live Love Nourish recipes, this one omits any processed ingredients such as salad dressings that often contain added sugar, preservatives, dairy or even hidden gluten.
- Broccoli is rich in fibre, minerals and vitamins.
- Broccoli is rich in vitamin K (needed for healthy bones and utilisation of calcium), vitamin C (boosting your immune system) and chromium (helping to reduce sugar cravings).
- Did you know that 100 grams of broccoli will provide you with over 150% of your recommend daily intake of vitamin C!?
- Broccoli is a great anti-inflammatory vegetable that also supports detoxification helping your body to rid of unwanted toxins.
- Avocados are a great source of nutrients that promote healthy skin and balanced hormones. They also help to reduce sugar and sweet cravings and boost your metabolism.
- Avocados are also rich in vitamin B6 which is great for PMS, mood swings and hormone health.
- Almonds add not just an element of satisfying crunch but add additional minerals and a source of protein.
Shaved Broccoli Salad with Avocado Dressing
- 1 medium ripe Avocado, mashed
- 2 cloves fresh Garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice (approx juice of 1 Lemon)
- 3 tablespoon cold Water
- Pink Salt and Black Pepper to liking
- 1 head Broccoli
- 1 Celery Stick, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup Slivered Almonds
- Prepare dressing by mixing avocado, garlic, lemon juice, water, salt and pepper to a puree. (Use a stick blender to make very smooth and creamy). Set aside.
- Using a mandolin, slicer or slice attachment on a food processor shred the broccoli into fine shavings.
- In a mixing bowl combine shaved broccoli, celery and avocado dressing making sure evenly mixed.
- Just before serving stir though slivered almonds.
- Serve as side dish or add cooked and shredded/chopped protein (such as chicken or salmon) for a "one bowl wonder meal."
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Add extra chunks of avocado by dicing an additional 1/2 avocado and string through.
- Substitute slivered almonds for toasted pine nuts or, cashews or crushed dry roasted almonds.
- Dry toast slivered almonds for extra toasty crunch.
- Add fresh, de-seeded and finely sliced chilli.
- Instead of raw broccoli you can also lightly steam sliced broccoli for 1-2 minutes then allow to cool. This is a great option for those with digestive conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome that might not tolerate raw vegetables as well.
- Boost this dish's protein content by serving with hardboiled, cooled and peeled eggs chopped and gently folded through.
- Make sure you add your almonds just before serving so they keep fresh and crisp.
- Simply omit nuts or substitute for sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.