There’s something extra special about home cooking rustic recipes. Just like these Spinach & Macadamia Feta Tartlets. Homemade rustic gluten free pastry filled with spinach and dairy free macadamia feta.
These are the perfect savoury snack to take to picnics, enjoy for lunch or for a satisfying snack. The recipe is really versatile. It can be made into mini tartlets or small tarts or a larger quiche pie. In addition, you can also add different flavours such as roasted pumpkin, roasted capsicum or even olives.
The recipe is gluten free and dairy free friendly. Additionally, with the crust being made with almond meal, the recipe is also low carb friendly.
Gluten Free Pastry:
To make the gluten free pastry I’ve used a low carb flour alternative, almond meal. Because the gluten free pastry contains no gluten to provide stretch, once you’ve made the dough refrigerate to slightly firm up, making it easier to roll and create individual cases with a rustic feel.
Dairy Free Macadamia Feta Cheese:
Finally, the hero of this recipe, macadamia feta cheese! To make this dairy free feta alternative I’ve used nutrient rich and creamy macadamias. Simply soak raw unsalted macadamias overnight. Then blend with a handful of ingredients in the recipe below to create a texture and flavour that resembles feta! You can use this dairy free feta cheese for other recipes too. Such as adding to salads and dips. Another recipe it works really well in is our Swiss Chard Spinach Pie.
If you love macadamias as much as we do, check out our recipes featuring this popular nut. Including strawberries and macadamia fudge sauce, gluten free macadamia granola. Another dairy free cheese alternative you might like is our macadamia cream cheese with smoked salmon canapés.
Watch the video recipe:
Spinach & Macadamia Feta Tartlets - Dairy Free
- 1 cup raw Australian macadamias (soaked overnight)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 3 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup macadamia feta
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- pinch nutmeg
- sea salt and pepper
- Fresh dill (to garnish)
- To make macadamia feta, strain and rinse soaked macadamias well.
- In a blender pulse macadamias, lemon juice, olive oil, water, salt and oregano (start with 1 tbsp water and add extra if needed) Pulse to form a texture that resembles cottage cheese. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Pre-heat oven to 180’C. Grease a mini muffin tray.
- Prepare crust. In a mixing bowl combine almond meal, tapioca and salt. Create a well in the centre and add whisked egg and olive oil. Combine flour into wet ingredients until mixed through. Use hands to shape into a smooth dough.
- Break off tablespoon portions of dough and roll into a ball. Refrigerate for 20 mins (helps dough to hold without gluten flour).
- Dust surface with extra tapioca flour. Using a rolling pin and with gentle pressure roll out each ball into individual rounds for each muffin hole. If mixture is sticking dust surface with extra tapioca flour or refrigerate for longer. Shape edges as needed.
- Press each dough round into the muffin hole to shape. Bake in oven for 5-8 minutes to start to cook dough.
- Meanwhile, sauté spinach in extra virgin olive oil for 1-2 minutes to wilt. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool. Finely chop.
- In a mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add baby spinach, macadamia feta, garlic, dill, lemon zest, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Lightly whisk with a fork to combine.
- Take out par cooked pastry cases and spoon egg mixture into each hole.
- Continue baking in oven until egg is cooked through and edges are golden. Garnish with fresh dill to serve. Enjoy warm or cool.
You can swap dill out for oregano or parsley. Add cubes of roast pumpkin for a variation.
Let’s Stay Connected
Make sure you don’t miss a recipe by signing up to our free newsletter. Download your free recipe e-book and I’ll send you our latest recipes straight to your inbox.
Share your remakes and tag @livelovenourishaus on Instagram or share in our Facebook Community. We love seeing your home cooking! Follow us on social media for more healthy living ideas and inspiration.
Love This Recipe? Share The Love!
Love this recipe? Please share on social media with your friends and family. Hit the Facebook or Pinterest button at the top of this page. We love having your support to inspire healthy and happy kitchens around the world.
This recipe, video imagery is copyright by Live Love Nourish. If you wish to share on your website please get in touch. We love collaborating with like-minded business’ but we kindly ask permission is requested.
As proud partners, this recipe was custom created by nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons for Australian Macadamias.