Did you know most store-bought, pre-packaged tomato sauce contains high amounts of sugar!? Let alone extra salt and often preservatives and colouring too.
Making your own sugar free (and paleo) tomato sauce is super quick and easy and keeps for several days in the fridge.
Our recipe for homemade Sugar Free Tomato Sauce is made by using simple and whole ingredients making it gluten free, dairy free, preservative free and of course sugar free. It is also kid-friendly approved and extremely versatile.
Serve this tomato sauce over Zucchini Noodles, meatballs, with Baked Sweet Potato Chips or Paleo Popcorn Chicken.
- Tomatoes provide a great source of antioxidants helping to keep your cells from ageing and further help to protect against cancer and high cholesterol levels.
- Did you know that when tomatoes are cooked with olive oil they provide more lycopene than compared to raw tomatoes?
- Garlic is a great health boosting ingredient known to enhance immune function and is also anti-ageing.
- Garlic is also anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral helping to keep nasty bugs away!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and soy free.
To make this recipe low FODMAP see recipe notes below.
Sugar Free Tomato Sauce
- 400 g canned crushed tomatoes (with no added sugar or preservatives)*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- Pinch Sea salt and Pepper
- Puree all ingredients in a blender, food processor or hand mix with attachment until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a medium saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Store in an air-tight container in refrigerator.
- *I recommend purchasing crushed tomatoes in BPA free cans.
- Serve as a condiment or dipping sauce.
- You can also change your herbs to to make different flavour combinations such as using fresh or dried oregano and parsley.
- Instead of fresh garlic use garlic infused olive oil.