A grain free, nut free muesli that showcases the super nutrient power of seeds! This recipe uses 5 super seeds that provide your body with loads of minerals and fibre.This muesli is also a great breakfast recipe for those sensitive to too many nuts or it can also be easily made nut free.
Seeds (and nuts) are very sensitive to heat and light so make sure you store them carefully. I recommend storing them in glass jars in the refrigerator. If exposed to heat and light they can turn rancid. Flaxseeds are particularly susceptible.
I make this recipe sweetener free but if you can also add a touch of natural sweetness – see notes below recipe.
- Pumpkin Seeds are rich in iron, magnesium,manganese and zinc. Pumpkin seeds are also great are promoting a healthy reproductive system.
- Sunflower Seeds are a good source the amino acid tryptophan as well as rich in vitamin E, B-complex vitamins and folic acid and minerals calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, selenium and zinc.
- Chia Seeds are rich in fibre, protein and omegas making them a super super-seed! Chia seeds are fantastic for healthy elimination and will help to keep you regular.
- Flaxseeds are also rich in fibre helping to promote healthy digestion. They are also known to improve cholesterol levels as well as menopausal symptoms.
- Not only are Sesame Seeds a fantastic non-dairy source of calcium they also provide a source of magnesium, zinc, iron, selenium and copper. They phytosterols founds in sesame seeds are also helpful in lowering blood cholesterol.
- Activate your seeds if possible for nutritional benefit. Did you know activating your nuts and seeds can help to reduce bloating and heaviness that can be experienced from eating too many.
Super Seed Crunchy Muesli (Grain Free)
- 1 cup Pumpkin Seeds(*preferably activated)
- 1 cup Sunflower Seeds*
- 1 cup Flaked Almonds*
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/4 cup Golden or Brown Flaxseeds/ Linseeds
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
- 1 E g g White
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon groundCinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Powder
- 1 cup Organic Shredded Coconut
- 1/3 cup Fresh berries (Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries or chopped Strawberries) per serve
- Coconut Yoghurt, unsweetened Almond Milk,Coconut Drinking MilkorCoconut Waterto serve
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 150C.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together all seeds.
- Whisk egg white until light and fluffy and fold through seed mix to coat evenly. Mix in melted coconut oil.
- Add cinnamon and vanilla powder and mix well.
- Add shredded coconut and chia seeds and stir through.
- Spread mixture evenly onto a grease-proof lined baking tray (or over 2 trays) and bake in oven for 10 -12 minutes or until lightly golden. Check after 6 - 8 minutes to ensure muesli is not burning and gently mix around if needed.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- Serve with fresh berries and coconut yoghurt or dairy free milk of choice.
- Serve with with a dollop of Coconut Yoghurt, Strawberry Yoghurt or as a cereal with unsweetened Almond Milk, Macadamia Nut Milk or Coconut Drinking Milk.
- Top with fresh fruit.
- For added sweetness add 2 teaspoons (mild) 1 tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup, Raw Honeyor Rice Malt Syrup before baking.
- If you find you feel heavy after eating seeds try activating them.
- You might like to stir through Puffed Quinoa, Puffed Buckwheat or Puffed Amaranth.
- Stir through orange zest.
- Instead of using dried coconut you can also serve your toasted muesli with freshly grated coconut (from Asian or Indian grocers in the freezer section).
- Using Extra Virgin Coconut Oil instead of standard coconut oil in this recipe will give an extra hint of delicious coconut flavour.
- Be careful not to burn your muesli. Make sure you check the batch regularly and mix around as needed.
- By adding the wet ingredients coconut oil and pure maple syrup to the dry ingredients will help the Cinnamon to coat the nuts and seeds well.
- You can make your own Almond Milk orCoconut Drinking Milk here.
- The egg white is used in the recipe to help the vanilla and cinnamon to stick and for some of the granola to clump together but this is of course optional.
- Simply omit egg white.
- Omit flaked almonds.