A healthy, family friendly tuna pie made with real food ingredients. This is my twist on my classic gluten free tuna pie with added vegetables and finished with dukkah.
This recipe is free from gluten, dairy and soy and can be made nut free. A great family dinner option, make-ahead lunch idea and lunch box friendly when made nut free.
- A well balanced recipe rich in protein, low GI carbohydrate and healthy fat.
- Tuna and eggs are high in protein to keep you satisfied for longer whilst providing your body with beneficial amino acids.
- Eggs also provide your body with a boost of energising vitamin B-12 as well as choline and folic acid.
- Quinoa is also high in protein and low GI providing your body with slow-release energy to fuel your body for an energised day.
Tuna & Quinoa Pie with Dukkah
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 extra large free range egg, whisked
- 2 tsp curry powder
- Pinch good quality salt
- Generous amount of cracked black pepper
- Olive oil for greasing
- 800 g good quality canned tuna in olive oil, drained
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 7 extra large free range eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup nut milk or plant based milk
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- Pinch good quality salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh parsley chopped or 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 3 tbsp dukkah
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 170C.
- Prepare and cook quinoa and set aside to slightly cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the base ingredients and mix well.
- Press base onto the bottom and sides of a large pie dish lightly greased with olive oil (approximately 26 cm pie dish).
- Flake tuna over base.
- In a mixing bowl combine remaining filling ingredients, except dukkah.
- Pour filling gently over tuna evenly. Top with an even layer of dukkah.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 50 minutes - 1 hour or until firm.
- Serve with a side salad or cooked greens.
- Add 1/2 cup frozen green peas to filling mixture before cooking.
- Add a pinch of chilli powder to the base mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup spinach, finely chopped to topping egg mixture.
- Add 1 grated carrot to tuna filling.
- You can also omit almond milk and add 1 more egg to filling.
- To make this recipe paleo, sub quinoa for cauliflower rice.
- For the best flavour choose a good quality brand of tuna.
- Substitute onion for 2 - 3 spring onions (green part only) finely chopped.
- Omit garlic from filling and add 1 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil.
- Substitute cooked quinoa for 3 cups of cauliflower rice (or 1.5 cups cauliflower rice + 1.5 cups broccoli rice).
- Substitute almond milk for coconut drinking milk or 1 additional egg or omit.
- Make a nut free dukkah using pumpkin seeds (pepitas).