This naturally sweetened loaf is a wonderfully moist and satisfying treat that utilises nutrient-rich ingredients of almonds, eggs and whole orange. In fact, this recipe is waste free! By using the whole orange in this recipe you add bonus nutrients into your loaf as well as minimal waste.
This gluten free and dairy free orange and almond loaf would have to be one of the simplest recipes to bake.
- Almonds are rich in healthy fats and vitamin E and are known to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Lowering your LDL cholesterol lowers your risk of heart disease.
- Oranges are rich in vitamins C and potassium and copper providing nutrition for optimum health and vitality.
- Eggs are a great source of complete protein and contain many different vitamins and minerals increasing your overall nutrient intake.
- By adding a source of healthy fat and protein from using almond meal and eggs the effects of the fruit sugar on your blood sugar levels is minimised.
Whole Orange and Almond Loaf
- 1 large whole orange seeds removed, peeled, chopped
- 3 large Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds (plus extra for top)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder (or good quality vanilla extract)
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180C.
- In a high powered blender or food processor combine chopped whole orange, eggs and dates and blend at high speed until pureed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine orange puree with almond meal, flaked almonds, baking powder, cinnamon and vanilla powder.
- Pour mixture into a lined small loaf tin or cake tin.
- Sprinkle extra flaked almonds on top. Cover loosely with baking paper to prevent almonds from burning. Remove after 1/2 way of cooking time.
- Bake in oven for 40 - 45 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden on top. Test with a skewer; the skewer will come out clean when cooked through.