Cauliflower mash is a great, low carb and Paleo alternative to white potato mash and is another great way to use different vegetables for variety. This creamy side is not only dairy free but is made simply with one vegetable and seasoned with fresh garlic and herbs.
- Cauliflower is a non-starchy vegetable making it low in carbohydrates but is rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Cauliflower contain several phytochemicals with anti-cancer properties as well as plant sterols such as indole-3-carbionol which is known to function as an anti-estrogen agent, helping the body to detox of 'bad' estrogens.
- Cauliflower contains beneficial amounts of vitamin C and K as well as fibre.
- As cauliflower has a high fibre and water content it helps to prevent constipation and maintain a healthy digestive system.
- 1 small head Cauliflower or 1/2 large head Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 - 2 small cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Chives, chopped
- Pinch Pink Salt and Black Pepper
- Steam cauliflower florets for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer cooked cauliflower to a blender or food processor with garlic, salt and pepper and blend to a puree. (Add a small amount of water or drizzle of Olive Oil if needed to get blender moving or alternatively mash well by hand). Check seasoning.
- Stir through chives. Serve warm.
- Serve as a side dish to cooked meals or as a bed for chicken, fish, beef or lamb.
- Cauliflower mash is also a great topping for homemade pies such as shepherd's pie instead of potato.
Make It Personal:
- You can also stir through additional fresh or dried herbs before serving (such as thyme or parsley).
- You can also substitute fresh garlic for 1 tablespoon of garlic infused olive oil.
© Live Love Nourish™ 2014. All rights reserved.