Coconut Pancakes with sugar free Smashed Berry Jam
A nourishing sugar free breakfast (or snack) recipe. These gluten free, fluffy coconut pancakes served with sugar free smashed berry jam are so simple
and delicious. They are also grain free, dairy free and contain no added sugar; this recipe also goes out to everyone who cannot tolerate nuts! Yes,
a grain free AND nut free pancake recipe that actually nourishes you.
Serve these light and fluffy ‘pillows’ of goodness with fruit-only sweetened jam for breakfast, afternoon tea or as pikelets for children’s lunch boxes.
If you love pancakes and my sugar approach to recipes, you will love the signature pancake recipe in my 8 Week Online Program (along with hundreds of other sugar free recipes).
You might also like the flourless blender pancakes that feature in my recipe e-book.
- Using coconut flour + coconut milk + coconut oil, this recipe provides all off the goodness of natures’s superfood, the Coconut.
- Coconut flour is rich in protein and fibre and is a great gluten free, grain free and nut free alternative to flours and nut meals.
- Coconut milk and coconut oil provide a source of beneficial fat and a substance called Lauric Acid which helps to boost functions of the Immune System.
- Using egg whites in this recipe boosts its protein content making these pancakes satisfying and helping to keep blood sugar levels balanced.
- Berries are a low-sugar fruit that provide a good dose of Vitamin C and anti-oxidants.
- Chia seeds are rich in fibre, protein and omegas adding to the power-packed nutritional quality of this recipe.
Coconut Pancakes with Smashed Berry Jam
- 2 large Free Range Egg Whites
- 1/2 cup Coconut Water
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Powder
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- Coconut Oil for frying
- Drizzle Coconut Milk to serve (optional)
Smashed Berry Jam:
- 1 cup Fresh Strawberries chopped, Raspberries, Blackberries or Mixed Berries
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- Make jam by mashing berries with a fork to form a rough paste. Alternatively blitz with a small hand mix or spice grinder. Stir through chia seeds
and set aside in refrigerator.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk egg whites with coconut water and coconut oil until combined.
- Add baking powder and vanilla powder, mix well.
- Add coconut flour and mix to combine well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over low - medium heat.
- Spoon portions of batter into frying pan and cook for 1 - 2 minutes over medium heat. Use back of a spoon to spread batter and shape pancake if
- Flip and cook for another 1 - 2 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve pancakes with jam and a drizzle of coconut milk.
Make It Personal:
- To add a natural sweetness and added electrolytes this recipe uses Coconut Water as its liquid component. You can also substitute with sparkling
water for a great way to make even fluffier pancakes.
- You can also substitute coconut water with Almond Milk or Coconut Drinking Milk.
- To add extra sweetness to your pancakes add 1 tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup or Raw Honey.
- To add extra sweetness to your Smashed Berry Jam add 1 - 2 teaspoons Pure Maple Syrup or Raw Honey.
- Use room temperature eggs when combing wet ingredients together otherwise the coconut oil can begin to solidify when it comes in contact with cold
- When cooking with Coconut Flour, it absorbs liquid quickly. Be sure to prepare your batter immediately before cooking for the best results.
- You can also use defrosted from frozen berries instead of fresh.
Sensitive to FODMAPs?
- Depending on your sensitivity to coconut products you may or may not be able to tolerate these Coconut Pancakes.
© Live Love Nourish™ 2014. All rights reserved.