- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 175ºC.
- Place 2 oranges (unpeeled) in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer covered for 45 minutes. (Make sure oranges remain covered with water). Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining orange. Cover the bottom of a lined large round cake tin with the orange slices. Set aside.
- Cut cooled boiled oranges into quarters (discard any seeds).
- Place boiled oranges, eggs, dates, baking powder and vanilla powder into a high powered blender (I use a Vitamix) and puree until smooth.
- In a medium bowl mix together orange puree with almond meal.
- Pour batter on top of orange slices in your cake tin and bake for 1 hour 40 minutes.
- Allow to slightly cool for 15 minutes then turn out so the orange slices at the bottom become the top of your cake.
- This recipe is suitable to freeze.
- Boiling the oranges brings out the natural fragrant oils in the skin and adds a gorgeous real orange flavour to the cake.
- I love using my Vitamix to make this cake.
- Instead of lining your cake with orange slices you can also top your batter with almond flakes before baking.
- *If you like your cake extra sweet you can add a few more dates or serve drizzled with maple syrup.
This recipe was designed by nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons. © Live Love Nourish ® 2016.