Gluten Free, Grain Free Paleo Bread
One of the hardest healthy swaps to find is for bread. Is there such a thing as “healthy bread?” Most bread contains copious amounts of processed, refined, bleached flours, too much sugar and excessive salt and preservatives. Even when buying gluten free bread you can still come across allergens such as soy, yeast, dairy and preservatives.
My experience has been quite varied when it comes to taste-testing store bought gluten free, dairy free, preservative bread, let alone the cost of some of these “healthier” breads. So I've tried and tested my own recipe for bread, over and over using different combinations of flours and find that this is the simplest and healthiest gluten free, grain free bread yet. Using only 5 ingredients, this bread is gluten free, dairy free, yeast free, soy free and grain free.
Making your own bread not only eliminates over-processed ingredients, preservatives and food allergens but ensures you use nutrient-rich ingredients that provide nourishment.
You can enjoy this low carb, Paleo bread fresh, for sandwiches, toasted, or make ahead and freeze in slices for healthy bread at your finger-tips.
This signature grain free bread recipe and many other simple nourishing recipes features in my 8 Weeks to Healthy and Happy Online Program.
- Almond Meal is a wonderful nutrient-rich substitute for grain based flours. It provides protein, good fats, vitamin E and helps to reduce carbohydrate cravings. Combined with the protein and nutrient supply of egg this bread is a well rounded when it comes to nutrition.
- Instead of eating bread made from processed, refined grain flour that can throw your blood sugar levels into chaos and ultimately lead to cravings, weight gain and digestive issues this basic grain free bread is packed with nutrients helping to sustain balanced blood sugar levels, making you feel fuller for longer and reduces the urge to over-eat. Because this recipe contains ingredients that are high in nutrient value you tend to also need less when compared to eating store-bought processed bread.
Gluten Free, Grain Free Bread
- 6 large organic free range eggs
- 3/4 cup sparkling water
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal* (also known as Almond Flour)
- 3 tablespoons organic tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- Pinch good quality salt
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs with almond meal, tapioca flour, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- Add sparkling water and mix to combine.
- Spoon batter into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool on a cooling wrack.
- Serve fresh or store in airtight container in refrigerator or in slice into portions and freeze.
- Serve fresh or toasted with your favourite toppings such as 100% nut spread, avocado, eggs, tomato or serve toasted as a side to soups or stews.
- *Use either blanched almond meal or I like to use almond meal with the skins still on - extra fibre, colour & a bit more texture!
- Sifting your almond meal and tapioca flour helps to make a lighter and well-combined batter.
- Using sparkling water helps to make this bread light and fluffy. You can also substitute sparkling water for unsweetened almond milk.
- I recommend buying organic tapioca flour to avoid added preservatives such as 220 found in some brands.
- This bread also freezes well in slices making for quick and easy toast!
- Store your cooled bread in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. To prevent moisture I recommend placing a piece of paper towel under your loaf.
© Live Love Nourish™ 2014. All rights reserved.