Burgers that are actually good for you! These healthy burgers are made using real food ingredients including sweet potato as a grain free bun alternative and a vegetarian patty made from black beans and beetroot.
The recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free and egg free.
Whether you are following a vegetarian diet or not, it is a very healthy recipe that provides plant-based protein from the black beans and quinoa in the patty and lots of veggies too!
I love making our family's favourite recipes into healthy versions. For more family-friendly healthy recipes, check out my 'Real Food Recipes' recipe e-book. It is filled with 80 recipes all made with whole foods.
1.Pre-heat oven to 180’C.
2. Slice sweet potato into 1/2 cm thick rounds (to become your burger buns).
3. Brush both sides of sweet potato with olive oil and place on a lined baking tray. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until tender, turning half way.
4. In a mixing bowl roughly mash black beans (or pulse in a food processor).
5. Add beans to your food processor with beetroot, quinoa, pumpkin, onion, chilli, cumin, salt and pepper. Pulse until well combined to form a textured paste.
6. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Using egg rings fill each egg ring on your baking tray with patty mixture and press down to shape. Remove ring and repeat until all mixture is used up. (You can also shape with your hands).
7. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until cooked and firm to hold.
8. Assemble burgers with sweet potato at the bottom topped with Roza’s Gourmet Chilli Mustard,lettuce and a patty. Top patty with Roza’s Gourmet Horseradish Dressing, tomato and another sweet potato on top. Serve immediately.