As you know I love to celebrate real food. For increased energy, improved health and happiness we need to nourish our body with real and wholefoods that make your body thrive.
With so much focus on what we should't be eating, I believe we should be paying much more attention on what we should be nourishing our body with; nutrient-rich wholefoods that will love your body back. I share my food philosophy in my new e-book and 8 Week Program.
I thought I would highlight a nutrient-rich superfood that has some amazing health benefits.
What's small, brown and fuzzy and can increase your energy, improve your digestion and boost your immune system? Kiwi fruit!
6 Reasons Why I Love Kiwi Fruit
1. Kiwis Are Nutrient Rich Kiwis pack a nutritional punch. They contain high amounts of vitamin C as well as healthy amounts of vitamin E and K, copper, manganese, folate, potassium and fibre.
2. Rich in vitamin C With more vitamin C than an orange, kiwi fruit great for boosting your immune system and fighting off colds and flu.
3. Can Improve digestion Kiwis are rich in fibre to keep your digestive system healthy and may reduce bloating and constipation. Fibre is also good for lowering your risk of cardiovascular disease.
Kiwis also contain a unique enzyme called actinidin which helps your body to break down protein. It can help to reduce that heavy feeling after a protein rich meal.
4. Great for skin health Their high antioxidant capabilities and vitamins A, C and E content help to support glowing and healthy skin.
5. Kind on your blood glucose levels The fibre in kiwi fruit helps to reduce the impact of it's natural sugars on your blood glucose levels.
6. Great for active lifestyles Kiwis are great for boosting energy levels and are particularly beneficial pre and post workout. They are an easy way to refuel your body post exercise in a smoothie. Their ability to help break down protein makes it easier for your body to digest post workout protein.
How To Include Kiwi In Your Diet
A recent study by the University of Otago showed that eating 2 x kiwis a day can improve your state of wellbeing along with extra energy.* Here's how you can include kiwi into your diet:
- Add to your healthy desserts. I use kiwi fruit in my Kiwi, Coconut and Lime Pana Cotta.
- Add chopped to muesli or your breakfast cereal. I add it to my gluten free crunchy granola. (Recipe in my e-book).
- Add to smoothies and smoothie bowls. Recipe for an immune boosting smoothie here.
- Freeze slices for hot days.
- Add to platters and snack plates.
- Add to salads or fresh salsa.
I'd love to hear from you with your favourite ways to enjoy Kiwi fruit? Please leave your suggestion in the comments below.
This blog post was written by nutritionist and naturopath Casey-Lee Lyons for Love Kiwis. *Carr AC, Bozonet SM, Pullar JM, Vissers MC. Mood Improvement in Young Adult Males Following Supplementation with Gold Kiwifruit, a High-Vitamin C Food. J Nutr Sci. 2013;2-1-8.