Berry Breakfast Crumble
Breakfast seems to be the meal of the day where I am asked for ideas as people tend to get stuck.
- 3 cups mixed berries of choice (blueberries/ raspberries/ blackberries/ strawberries; fresh or defrosted from frozen)
- 3/4 cup almond meal or hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup organic desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup flaked or slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp organic vanilla bean powder
- 1 or 2 tsp coconut sugar, maple syrup, rice malt syrup or honey Optional sweetener
- juice of 1/2 orange Optional sweetener
- Coconut yoghurt to serve (I use COYO)
Pre-heat oven to 170C.
Spread berries evenly into a small-medium baking dish.
If using orange juice to sweeten squeeze over berries now before adding crumble topping.
In a mixing bowl, combine crumble ingredients well. Add sweetener if using.
Spread crumble over berries to cover evenly.
Bake for 15 minutes or until crumble is lightly golden. (Be careful not to burn!)
- Serve with coconut cream or coconut yoghurt.
Make It Personal:
- Using ‘extra virgin’ coconut oil will give your crumble an extra hint of ‘coconut’ flavour.
- This crumble will make a crumbly topping - if you prefer yours to 'hold' together a little more you can add a touch more liquid sweetener or almond butter mixed well into the crumble before baking.
Sensitive to Nuts?
- You can also use hazelnut meal in place of almond meal.
The berries might be sweet enough for you otherwise add a hint of sweetness by mixing in optional sweetener of choice to your crumble topping or squeeze juice of 1/2 orange over berries before topping with crumble mixture.
- You can also add orange zest to crumble topping for a boost of zesty, citrus flavour.
- Mix in 1/4 cup chopped walnuts for added texture.
Sensitive to FODMAPs?
- Substitute nut meal for ground seeds and coconut and substitute flaked almonds for pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds.
- The small amount of coconut in this crumble may be well tolerated, if not simply omit.
- Avoid blackberries.
- Stick to portions up to 1/2 cup of almond meal and swap flaked almonds for pumpkin seeds.