Colourful Quinoa Salad
This salad has all of my favourite things - colour, flavour, texture and nutrition!
- 3 cups (420g) cooked quinoa, cooled*
- 1.5 tbsp (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 small Red onion, finely diced (or 3 spring onions, finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup (10g) fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup (10g) fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen baby peas
- Arils (seeds) from 1 pomegranate**
- 1/3 cup (45g) pistachios, roughly chopped
- Pinch Sea salt and black pepper
In a mixing bowl combine cooked and chilled quinoa with olive oil, lemon zest and juice.
Stir through through red onion, mint and parsley.
In a small heatproof bowl pour boiling water over peas to thaw (leave for 2-4 minutes). Drain well.
Stir through peas and pomegranate seeds through quinoa.
Season to taste.
Add pistachios just before serving.
Sensitive to FODMAPs?
- I cook my quinoa in a rice cooker using the ratio 1 cup quinoa: 1 1/4 cups water = 3 cups or follow stove top cooking instructions here.
- **To remove seeds from a pomegranate - use the palm of your hand to roll the whole pomegranate on a flat surface with a little pressure to loosen the seeds (you will hear them loosen). Cut pomegranate in half and use the back of a spoon to hit the outer skin so the seeds pop out below.
Sensitive to Nuts?
- Avoid red onion and use spring onions.
Personalise your recipe:
- Substitute pistachios for pumpkin seeds.
- Add diced avocado.
- Serve with additional protein such as chicken, prawns or fish.