Creamy Curried Pumpkin Soup
Spicing up my very simple (and delicious) pumpkin soup recipe with a hint of curry. This amazing flavour combination will transform your soup nights.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp (5g) curry powder
- 1.5 kg pumpkin, peeled and diced into large pieces (I use Kent/Jap pumpkin)
- 750 mL vegetable stock or broth
- Pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 200 mLs premium coconut milk (BPA free can)
- fresh coriander
In an extra large saucepan or soup pot saute garlic in olive oil for 1 minute. Add curry powder and stir.
Add pumpkin, stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
Stir through coconut milk.
Using a blender (I use a Total Nutrition Centre 5200 Vitamix for all of my pureed soups) or food processor puree ingredients until smooth.
Serve with fresh coriander on top.
Personalise your recipe:
- Garnish with fresh chives or spring onions, chopped.
- I like to serve my soup with an extra swirl of coconut cream on top.
- Add 1 cup baby spinach leaves before pureeing.
- Add 11/2 head broccoli florets or 3 cups kale (woody stems removed) with pumpkin.
Sensitive to FODMAPs?
- Did you know many store-bought stocks may contain gluten, lactose and yeast? I recommend finding a brand free from these ingredients and free from flavour enhancers or excess salt or alternatively you can make your own vegetable stock and freeze in batches for ready-to-go soup stock. You can also enhance the nutritional qualities of this soup by using bone broth.
- Soup not satisfying enough? Very often do I hear, "my hubby wont eat soup"! How I got my hubby to eat soup is by adding meatballs! Simple roll mince with onion, garlic and spices and pan fry until cooked through and serve hot on top of your soup.
- Omit fresh garlic and add 2 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil.
- Choose Kent or Jap pumpkin and avoid butternut pumpkin.
- Omit coconut milk.