Gluten Free, Grain Free Savoury Crackers
Not only are these savoury crackers gluten free and grain free but they also have a high nutrient value and are extremely satisfying. Many store-bought, pre-packaged rackers are high in refined carbohydrates, contain additives and often even contain gluten or dairy. There are many great brands coming out with healthier crackers that you can purchase at health food stores, here or alternatively you can make your own with this recipe.
- 2 Free Range Eggs or 4 Egg Whites
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Pinch sea salt
Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 170C.
Whisk eggs and oil together until well combined. Add sifted almond meal, sesame seeds, garlic powder and oregano and mix well.
Place dough onto centre of a lined baking tray. Place a second piece of grease proof paper on top of dough and using a rolling pin or can of food roll out dough to approximately ¼ cm thick. Remove top layer of paper. Using a knife or pizza cutter cut into squares approximately 4cm x 4cm.
Bake in oven for 10- 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
Allow to cool. Break into shapes along pre-scored cuts.
Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Make It Personal:
- Add your own flavour combinations such as onion powder or dried herbs such as rosemary or chives.
Sensitive to Nuts?
- Add texture by adding 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds or poppy seeds.
Sensitive to Eggs? Animal Friendly Option:
- Substitute almond meal for 2 cups Sunflower Seeds ground + 1/4 cup Flaxseed Meal.
- Substitute eggs for 3 tablespoons of water. The dough will be a little more fragile so roll out thicker to approximately 1/2 cm thick.