MYO Nut/Almond Milk
Nut milk is a staple in the LLN kitchen and we find by making your own not only is it an affordable staple ingredient but is a great way to make a nutrient dense versatile low allergy milk.
- 1 cup Raw Almonds(or other favourite nut)*
- 3 cups ** Cold Water, plus additional water for soaking
- natural sweetener (1 teaspoon Raw Honey, Pure Maple Syrup, 1-2 pitted Medjool Dates or Liquid Stevia to taste) Optional
- pinch of vanilla powder Optional
In a small bowl cover the nuts with soaking water and soak the almonds, uncovered overnight or for a minimum of 6 hours.
Drain almonds and discard soaking water. Rinse almonds thoroughly with fresh water.
Combine the almonds and 3 cups of fresh cold water in a blender or food processor and blend at high speed for 3 - 4 minutes or until well combined.
Using a fine strainer, nut milk bag, clean chux or cheese cloth strain the almond milk into a bowl or jug. Make sure you squeeze as much of the almond milk from the pulp out as possible.
If using sweetener return milk to blender and add sweetener of choice. Blend to combine well. (The powerful Vitamix Total Nutrition Centre 5200 Vitamix makes this almond milk smooth and creamy).
Store in an air-tight container in refrigerator.
Make It Personal:
- **Use more or less water depending on how creamy or thin you like your nut milk.
- If you prefer a crunchier texture simply skip straining and transfer straight to container.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- For a vanilla flavour add 1/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Powder.
- *You can use any nut instead of almonds such as Brazil Nuts, Walnuts or Cashews.
Sensitive to Nuts?
- The longer you allow the nuts to soak, the creamier the texture.
- Using raw almonds with the skin actually makes your almond milk creamier and smoother.
- Use the leftover almond pulp for adding to baking for extra fibre.
- You don’t have to strain the almond milk if you prefer a textured milk.
- For natural sweetness and added electrolytes blend with Coconut Water instead of fresh water.
- Using a good quality blender will ensure smooth and creamy nut milk that you can make in minutes. We recommend the Total Nutrition Vitamix.
Sensitive to FODMAPs?
- Substitute nuts for your choice of seeds such as Sunflower Seeds Kernels or alternatively try our recipe for MYO Coconut Drinking Milk.
- If using sweetener, opt for Liquid Stevia, Pure Maple Syrup or pittedMedjool Dates instead of honey.
- Almonds are tolerated up to 10 per serve so use small amounts.