VIETNAMESE CHICKEN SALAD BOWL
Fresh, flavoursome and healthy, you will love this homemade version of my favourite take-away, Vietnamese Chicken Salad Bowl.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or macadamia nut oil)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped lemongrass (approx 2 stalks)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (or galangal)
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2-4 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 500g chicken thighs chopped
- 2 carrots finely julienned
- 1 long cucumber julienned
- 2 tbsp lemon or lime juice (or 1 tbp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 wombok (Chinese cabbage) finely shredded (or use iceberg lettuce)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves torn
- 1 cup fresh corinader leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts (or cashews), crushed
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 long red chilli deseeded & finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp honey (or equivalent sweetener)
Prepare marinade for chicken. Combine ingredient and mix well. Stir through chicken and marinade whilst you prepare the salad. Marinade longer for additional flavour intensity. Set aside.
Prepare salad ingredients. Add lemon/lime juice and fish sauce into a small bowl with carrots and cucumber. Allow to stand whilst you prepare remaining ingredients. Leave for 30+ mins for extra flavour.
Prepare salad dressing by mixing all ingredients together and set aside.
Add remaining salad ingredients to a large mixing or serving bowl.
Strain carrots and cucumber well. Add carrot and cucumber to salad and toss to combine.
Cook chicken in a frying pan until golden and caramelised. Set aside.
Add chicken to salad and pour over dressing just before serving.
Garnish with roasted peanuts.
You can add rice noodles to this dish.
Swap chicken with prawns or beef strips.
TO MAKE THIS RECIPE VEGETARIAN:
Swap chicken and use tofu strips instead.
TO MAKE THIS RECIPE LOW FODMAP:
Omit garlic and use garlic infused olive oil in marinade and to cook with.
Omit honey in the dressing and use maple syrup instead.
Stick to 1 tsp coconut sugar per serve.
Use peanuts and not cashews to garnish.