Satay Papaya Noodles
A delicious family feel good noodle dish with homemade satay and fresh papaya.
- 1 packet vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 red papaya sliced
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- 2 small carrots finely julienned
- 1 cucumber julienned
- 1 small red capsicum julienned
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 Spring Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans/ snow peas thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 red chilli deseeded, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (Coriander or Thai basil)
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 400ml canned coconut milk
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp tamari/ wheat free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey (optional or to taste)
- chicken breast thinly sliced
- tofu cut into cubes
- prawns shells removed
- Fresh coriander and/or Thai basil
- Lime wedges
Place uncooked noodles into a bowl of hot water and soak for 15 mins or until tender. Drain well. Set aside.
Prepare satay sauce by combining peanut butter with garlic in a saucepan over medium heat.Add coconut milk, lime juice, tamari soy sauce and honey. Mix to combine well and warm through. Sauce will thicken quickly so remove from heat as it approaches desired thickness.Set aside.
Cook your choice of protein.
Prepare remaining ingredients. In a bowl toss together vegetables.
When ready to serve add noodles and protein to vegetables and herbs and combine. Spoon over satay sauce and mix well. Gently fold through papaya slices.
Serve and garnish with peanuts and coriander.
To make this recipe peanut free, swap peanut butter with almond spread and swap peanuts for dry roasted almonds. You can also use cashew nut butter and cashews.
You can also add 1 lemongrass stalk (white part), finely chopped to sauce for a different flavour profile.
You can also use Thai basil in place of or with coriander.