If you are after a family friendly and special chicken dinner to impress, you’ll love this recipe for Honey Herbed Chicken with Watermelon Greek Salad.
Tender, juicy chicken in a honey, herbed syrup finished with fresh kalamata olives. Serve with a fresh watermelon, mint and oregano salad, finished with yoghurt a honey syrup.
How to Add Flavour Without Fuss
When making family friendly recipes using some extra special ingredients can make the recipe memorable and flavourful without fuss. Keeping some flavour-rich, quality ingredients in your pantry can transform your home cooking, without adding more time in the kitchen or fuss.
In this recipe I’ve swapped a few classic pantry ingredients to enhance the flavours in this dish without any hard work. Swaps include:
- In place of olive oil I used Gemstone flavoured olive oil (ginger, basil and garlic), which is the world’s No.1 olive oil and has an incredible flavour.
- In place of standard honey, I used saffron honey and truffle raw honey. These honey’s are produced by a small family farm who are committed to organic farming and have an incredible true honey flavour with notes of saffron and truffle.
- When using herbs, quality counts. I used organic and authentic Greek oregano. It has so much flavour and a true oregano fragrance beyond supermarket oregano.
- To season the dish I added extra flavour by seasoning with an organic Sea Salt with oregano, sesame, thyme and spearmint.
- Olives are one of the best ways to add a punch of flavour to a dish. When it comes to choosing olives quality is important. There is a big difference in the flavour of supermarket olives and quality, organic olives without cheap preservatives. In this recipe I used these gourmet kalamata olives. They have no vinegar and are in extra virgin olive oil, lemon, thyme and lemon peel.
- To see more organic and natural Greek fine foods check out Grecian Purveyor. Their range of authentic Greek pantry ingredients are fast becoming staples for our home cooking.
- This recipe is a very simple baked chicken dish with Greek flavours. Simply pour the combined liquids over chicken thighs and bake in oven. Towards the end of the cooking add olives and green beans and spoon over juices and cook until golden.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking in the oven prepare your watermelon salad. Drizzle over the honey syrup and plate up just before serving.
- To keep the flavours light and fresh serve with a Greek inspired watermelon salad which also acts a delicious palate cleanser so the flavours of the flavoured olive oil, truffle honey and kalamata olives really pop.
- You can also pre-marinade the chicken in the honey, lemon and olive oil syrup (once cooled) for a few hours or overnight to enhance flavours.
Share This Recipe
If you love this recipe please share on social media with your friends and family. Hit the Facebook or Pinterest button at the top of this page. We love having your support to inspire healthy and happy kitchens around the world.
Make sure you don’t miss a recipe by signing up to our free newsletter (you’ll find the link at the top of this page when you click FREE EBOOK). You can download your free recipe e-book and I’ll send you our latest recipes straight to your inbox.
I hope you love it! Casey-Lee x
Make sure you scroll down to watch the video below!
Honey Herbed Chicken with Watermelon Greek Inspired Salad
Honey Herbed Chicken
Watermelon, Mint, Oregano Salad with Yoghurt & Honey Syrup
- In a small saucepan add juice from 2 lemons with honey, garlic and extra virgin olive oil. Combine and set aside.
- Place the chicken in one layer in a roasting tray. Drizzle with the honey and lemon syrup evenly.
- Cut the remaining lemon into wedges and place between chicken thighs.
- Sprinkle chicken with sesame and oregano sea salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Add olives and green beans to the chicken tray and bake for a further 20 mins - 30 mins or until chicken is cooked through and golden. Sprinkle with oregano just before serving.
- Meanwhile make the watermelon salad. In a small saucepan gently heat honey and orange juice, whisk to combine. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Arrange watermelon onto a serving plate. Drizzle over extra virgin olive oil and pour over honey syrup.
- Dollop with yoghurt over watermelon. Sprinkle with oregano and mint leaves.
If you love this recipe and want to see more family friendly recipes, check out my Real Food Recipe Book. It contains 80 whole food recipes our family, friends and community love.
This recipe, video and imagery is copyright by Live Love Nourish. If you wish to share on your website please get in touch. We love collaborating with like-minded business’ but we kindly ask permission is requested.
This recipe was custom created by nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons for Grecian Purveyor.