Homemade Gluten Free Muesli
Did you know that store-bought muesli can not only be expensive but full of sugar and preservatives? Packaged muesli is typically filled with dried fruit which has a high sugar content and can cause rapid increases in your blood sugar levels. Unbalanced blood sugar levels can lead to sugar cravings, weight gain and can cause fatigue.
Why not make your own? By making your own muesli you not only avoid health-hindering sugars and preservatives but you get to choose all of your favourite ingredients, leaving out the ones that you would typically pick out from store-bought boxed muesli and as a bonus its a lot cheaper and healthier!
You can buy the individual ingredients to make your own gluten free muesli in the health food aisle of your supermarket, at your local health food store or see the LLN Pantry for our recommended suppliers.
Each fortnight at LLN we like to make a batch of this nutritious, versatile, nutrient- packed and gluten- free muesli and store it in an air-tight container, in a cool, dry place for a simple breakfast solution.
Make this dairy free and vegan breakfast by serving with Almond Milk, Coconut Drinking Milk or Macadamia Nut Milk.
- Our Homemade Gluten Free Muesli Recipe contains nutrient packed ingredients that provide a breakfast option that is rich in fibre, protein and health-promoting vitamins and minerals. The nuts and seeds also add an extra element of protein and crunch to this recipe that help you to stay fuller for longer.
- Amaranth is a high protein, gluten free grain that contains important minerals such as calcium and magnesium. It is also rich in fibre and lower in carbohydrates than other grains. Did you know? The word Amaranth means ‘everlasting’ in Greek and is an ancient grain of the Aztecs known to promote good health.
- Buckwheat, although its name contains the word ‘wheat’, is in fact gluten free. Buckwheat is a great source of fibre helping to promote healthy digestion and lower cholesterol levels. It is also a slow-release carbohydrate that helps to control blood sugar levels and the release of insulin. Buckwheat is also known to help reduce high blood pressure. Did you know? Buckwheat grows so quickly that it doesn't require a lot of pesticides or other chemicals to grow well hence it is most often chemical free!
- Amaranth and Buckwheat are rich sources of magnesium, manganese, zinc and calcium.
- Adding nuts and seeds such as Almonds, Pepitas, Sunflower Seed Kernels and Chia Seeds adds a source of protein and healthy fat to this Gluten Free Muesli recipe. These ingredients supply good amounts of fibre, B-vitamins, vitamin E, folic acid, iron, magnesium, calcium, zinc and manganese.
Homemade Gluten Free Muesli
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Store in an air-tight container until use.
Make It Personal:
- Toast nuts and seeds and allow to cool for added crunch and to add a toasted flavour to your muesli.
Sensitive to Nuts?
Sensitive to Grains?
© Live Love Nourish™ 2014. All rights reserved.