A moist and naturally sweetened flourless cake celebrating whole-food ingredients including whole orange, almonds and dates, to nourish your body from the inside out.
This easy recipe is free from gluten, grains, dairy and refined sugar. Paleo friendly.
- Rich in nourishing and satiating healthy fats and protein.
- Refined sugar free.
- Free from gluten, dairy, grains and soy, suitable for those with these food allergies or intolerances.
- Almonds are rich in healthy fats and vitamin E and are known to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Lowering your LDL cholesterol lowers your risk of heart disease.
- Oranges are rich in vitamins C and potassium and copper providing nutrition for optimum health and vitality.
- Eggs are a great source of complete protein and contain many different vitamins and minerals increasing your overall nutrient intake.
- By adding a source of healthy fat and protein from using almond meal and eggs the effects of the fruit sugar on your blood sugar levels is minimised.
Watch my video below for how to make this simple recipe. You can also print off the recipe too to remake this cake in your home kitchen.
Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
- 3 large sweet oranges
- 4 large free range eggs
- 8 large (150g) medjool dates, pitted & chopped*
- 3 cups (330g) almond meal
- 2 tsp (5g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (2g) organic vanilla bean powder
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 175C.
- Place 2 oranges (unpeeled) in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer covered for 45 minutes. (Make sure oranges remain covered with water). Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining orange. Cover the bottom of a lined large round cake tin with the orange slices. Set aside.
- Cut cooled boiled oranges into quarters (discard any seeds).
- Place boiled oranges, eggs, dates, baking powder and vanilla powder into a high powered blender (I use a Vitamix) and puree until smooth.
- In a medium bowl mix together orange puree with almond meal.
- Pour batter on top of orange slices in your cake tin and bake for 1 hour 40 minutes.
- Allow to slightly cool for 15 minutes then turn out so the orange slices at the bottom become the top of your cake.
- This recipe is suitable to freeze.
- Boiling the oranges brings out the natural fragrant oils in the skin and adds a gorgeous real orange flavour to the cake.
- I love using my Vitamix to make this cake.
- Instead of lining your cake with orange slices you can also top your batter with almond flakes before baking.
- *If you like your cake extra sweet you can add a few more dates or serve drizzled with maple syrup.