Healthy, allergy friendly, high-fibre hot cross buns. These “free-from” hot cross buns mean everyone can enjoy an Easter treat, even those with multiple
food allergies or sensitivities. Free from gluten, dairy, refined sugar, nuts and eggs. Vegan friendly.
I used a combination of ground seeds to create a nutrient dense ‘bun’ and used spices and orange to capture the essence of a hot cross bun but healthy
and of course egg free, wheat free, dairy free and nut free.
- This recipe is free from gluten, grains, dairy and refined sugar.
- This recipe is also nut and egg free, suitable for those with these food sensitivities.
- Made with high-fibre ingredients including psyllium husk, chia seeds and flaxseeds to promote healthy digestion and keep you fuller for longer.
- Naturally sweetened with fresh orange juice and dates, this recipe is free from refined sugar.
Hot Cross Buns
- 2/3 cup (50g) psyllium husks
- 2 tbsp (26g) chia seeds
- 2 tbsp (24g) flaxseeds (linseeds)
- 1/3 cup (50g) sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup (50g) sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup (60g) coconut flour
- 1 tbsp (12g) baking powder
- 2 tsp (3g )vanilla bean powder
- 1 tsp (2g) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (2g) all spice
- 1/2 tsp (1g) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 cups (500ml) freshly squeezed orange juice (from sweet in-season oranges)
- 100 g (approx 12 large) medjool dates, pitted & chopped
- 1/4 cup extra organic dried fruit of choice. (optional; such as dried blueberries, currants or sultanas)
- 5 tbsp coconut milk (canned)
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 3 tsp coconut flour
- piping bag/ snap lock bag
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 165’C. Line a baking tray.
- In a high powdered blender blend psyllium husk for approx 10 seconds to form a fine powder.
- Add chia seeds, flaxseeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds to your blender and blend to a meal/flour.
- In a mixing bowl combine ground pysillium and seed mix with coconut flour, baking powder, vanilla powder, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg and cloves.
- Add in orange zest, coconut oil, orange juice and medjool dates. Mix to combine well. Allow to sit for a few minutes to for liquid to absorb.
- Roll and shape approx 1/4 cup portions of the dough into small bun shapes. Place buns on baking tray with sides touching each other.
- In a small mixing bowl combine cross ingredients; coconut milk, tapioca flour and coconut flour.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag (or snap lock bag with the corner cut) and squeeze mixture over buns to make a cross on each bun.
- Bake in oven for 50 mins or until lightly golden on top.
- Allow to completely cool.