This recipe is a little sneak peak at one of our family-friendly recipes that you’ll find in our 8 Week Program.
This roast lamb recipe is all about bold flavour, homely cooking and nutrient-rich ingredients.
This is my twist on the classic Sunday lamb roast. With roasted and smashed veggies to add some flare and fun and served with a flavoursome gravy that uses no flour to thicken!
This recipe uses whole food ingredients so is naturally gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and Paleo.
- Lamb is high in protein and delivers a good dose of iron and amino acids.
- Sweet potato and pumpkin provide a great source of vitamins A and C.
- Our LLN pumpkin gravy is naturally gluten free as it uses no flour. Instead we use pumpkin + chia seeds to add a burst of nutritional goodness.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, egg free and soy free.
To make this recipe low FODMAP see recipe notes below.
Pull Apart Lamb Shoulder + Veggie Smash & Pumpkin Gravy
- 2 kg Lamb Shoulder
- extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Bulb Garlic Cloves, peeled
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 Kent or Jap Pumpkin (or 1/2 Butternut Pumpkin), chopped
- 3 cups Green Beans
- 400 mLs Water
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Pinch Sea salt
- Pinch Black Pepper White Pepper
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 220C.
- Place rosemary sprigs and 1/2 of the garlic cloves on the bottom of a high-sided roasting tray.
- Deeply score the fat side of the lamb, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on top of rosemary and garlic.
- Cover tray with aluminium foil and place in oven. Reduce oven temperature to 150°C and cook for 4 hours or until meat pulls apart easily with a fork. (Remove foil with 30 mins cooking time to go).
- With 1 hour 15 mins to go place remaining garlic cloves, sweet potato and pumpkin in a separate roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil and roast in oven.
- Once lamb is cooked remove from oven and place on a chopping board. Cover with aluminium foil and a tea towel and allow to rest.
- Meanwhile make gravy. Pour out oil from lamb tray and discard rosemary sprigs. Mash 2- 3 garlic cloves in the pan (discard others) 1/2 cup of the roasted pumpkin until smooth and mix into any caramelised residual flavour on bottom of pan. Add 400mLs water, onion powder, chia seeds, salt and peppers and use a fork to mix well. Place flameproof tray on stovetop (or alternatively transfer ingredients to a small saucepan) and bring to a simmer and allow gravy to reduce for 5-8 minutes, stirring regularly or until desired consistency.
- Blanch or steam green beans for 5- 8 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Remove vegetables from oven and roughly mash sweet potato, pumpkin and garlic cloves with a fork.
- Carve lamb and serve with vegetables and gravy.
- Omit garlic cloves. You can use garlic infused olive oil to season your lamb for a garlic flavour instead.
- Omit onion powder from gravy.