This is such a great way to incorporate lots of vegetables into your diet. Especially if you have children this is a great recipe to ensure they are eating
a variety of vegetables by enjoying many of the ‘colours of the rainbow.’
This frittata-style vegetable slice is not only gluten free, dairy free and paleo but it is also nut free making it a great lunch box item kids can take
to schools that have require nut free lunches.
This vegetable slice is delicious warmed or even served cold. Hence it makes a great take-to-work lunch item, a great snack and can make for an easy dinner
or make-ahead breakfast option.
I love making this vegetable slice and freezing it in individual portions for a quick re-heat snack or for busy mornings when there is no time to cook
a savoury breakfast.
You’ll find more healthy recipes in my recipe e-book.
- This recipe is a high protein, vitamin-rich meal that can be enjoyed anytime of the day. Its high protein and nutrient rich vegetable content make
this a tasty, long lasting and satisfying meal.
- Eggs are a great all rounder when it comes to nutrition. They are a great source of protein, omegas and vitamins A, E, B12 and folate to name just
a few of the many different nutrient properties of golden eggs.
- Kale is a great way to provide your body with calcium, iron and other essential minerals.
- Capsicum and carrots are rich in beta carotene, vitamin C and bioflavanoids. These nutrients are great for healthy skin, eye health and a powerful
booster to your immune system. They are also rich in vitamins A and C making these ingredients wonderful skin super foods and great for healthy
- Using fresh herbs not only adds flavour and freshness to the recipe but will also provide your body with anti-oxidants and add to your daily vitamin
and mineral intake.
Rainbow Vegetable Slice
- 7 large Free Range Eggs, whisked
- 2 cups packed Baby Kale or wilted Kale Leaves, finely shredded*
- 2 medium Carrots, grated
- 1 large Zucchini, grated
- 1 small Red Capsicum, diced
- 4 Spring Onions, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup Fresh Herbs of choice (e.g Parsley) or 2 tablespoons Dried Herbs
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 5 tablespoon s Coconut Flour
- Pinch Pink Salt
- Black Pepper
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180°C.
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, vegetables, garlic, herbs and olive oil until well combined.
- Add coconut flour and salt and pepper and mix to combine well.
- Spoon mixture into a lined or greased baking dish.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 35-45 minutes or until cooked through and golden on top.
- Allow to slightly cool and slice into portions. Serve warm or chilled.
- To serve as a meal serve with a side of fresh dressed salad greens or cooked greens.
- Serve with a dollop of Dairy Free Basil Pesto.
- Parsley is a great mild herb for children but you can choose any of your favourite herbs.
- You can substitute spring onions for 1/2 onion, finely diced or 4 tablespoons chopped chives.
- You can also add 1/2 punnet chopped cherry tomatoes or preservative free Sundried Tomatoes.
- You might like to also add some cooked and diced nitrate free, organic bacon to your mixture before baking.
- Let the wet mixture sit for 5 minutes before baking in oven. This allows the coconut flour to absorb some of the excess liquid.
- *You can purchase baby kale from the fruit and vegetable section of your supermarket where the lettuce is found. Alternatively you can use standard kale but we you will need to wilt it by pan frying for 3-4 minutes first (as kale can be quite tough). You could also use wilted silverbeet.
- Omit fresh garlic and use garlic infused olive oil. Ensure you use the green part only of the spring onion.