Did you know? Store-bought jam is typically packed full of sugar. Here is our healthy, sugar free homemade Jam recipe using just naturally sweet berries and protein packed Chia Seeds.
Serve with Coconut Pancakes, spread on toasted Gluten Free, Grain Free Bread or dollop onto sweet treats.
- This recipe for Smashed Berry Jam is a great sugar free alternative to store bought jams that typically have a high sugar content. Too much refined sugar negatively impacts your body’s functions by disrupting blood sugar levels, impacting hormone regulation, triggering inflammation and can also lead to unwanted weight gain.
- Berries are a low-sugar fruit that provide a good dose of vitamin C and anti-oxidants.
- Chia Seeds are rich in fibre, protein and omegas adding to the power-packed nutritional quality of this recipe.
Sugar Free Smashed Berry Jam
- Make smashed berry jam by mashing berries with a fork to form a rough paste. Alternatively blitz with a small hand mix or spice grinder. Add sweetener if using.
- Stir through chia seeds and set aside in refrigerator for a minimum of 25 minutes to set.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Choose your favourite berry or use a combination of mixed berries.
- Add extra Chia Seeds if you like your jam thicker.
- To add extra sweetness to your Smashed Berry Jam add a touch of Pure Maple Syrup or Raw Honey.
- When chia seeds mix with a wet ingredient they swell and will naturally thicken to a jam-like consistency.
- If using sweetener opt for Pure Maple Syrup instead of honey.